The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Shooting The Bull
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2018, 12:55 PM
THE PLACE Member

Default Daughter's first car!

We debated for the last few months on whether to go ahead and get my daughter her first car at 15 and after weighing the options and what we wanted to do, we decided to go ahead and get her one so that when the time comes and she gets her real license, she will already be comfortable and know the vehicle.

I didn't want her trying to learn in my 4 door Silverado or her Mom's 4 door SUV, I wanted smaller and less power.

Then came the new vs used aspect. After looking for a couple of months at used cars and realizing that at the price point that we were considering, 15K, we were looking at vehicles with at least 50k miles and no warranty or at the best a one year warranty. Plus, with the TAVT, you pay the 7% either way, so there was no tax avoidance on a vehicle anymore. We talked of giving her my wife's SUV, but with no trade in, we were then looking at shelling out 30K+ for my wife a new one.

Ended up buying the car through email. My wife has Hyundai Sante Fe and loves it and (knock on wood) has had 0 issues in the first 75000 miles. I contacted 5 dealers and told them up front, DO NOT CALL ME, send me your best price Out the Door and I will proceed from there. All sent offers, one called and was immediately barred from further talk (idiot just couldn't follow my rules) and the rest followed thru as asked.

Anyway, I finally got the deal I wanted even after deciding to finance for the 6 years (0%). So far roughly 3 grand more, we ended up with a new car with 60,000 bumper to bumper and 120,000 powertrain warranty. The reason for the financing is if my daughter, for some reason, decided to act out and become a bad kid or decides after high school to not attend college and get a job, then she will then take over the payments and the lower the payment then the better it is for her.

She was smiling like I haven't seen in a long time when we picked it up Thursday!

2018 Hyundai Elantra
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carcar.jpg (47.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg carcar2.jpg (31.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 05-26-2018, 01:50 PM
THE PLACE Member

Heck Yea! That's a great car! I did similer to you. Bought Mckenzie one when she was 15 1/2 and let her get use to it. I bought a used 2013 with 46K and bought an extended warranty a few months ago that covers all mechanical and electrical up to 150K. Hopefully you get a good deal on the insurance. I hate car insurance. LoL
Old 05-26-2018, 03:08 PM
THE PLACE Member

Nice car! I just got a truck and did the same as you. I got with a number of dealers, gave them specifics and asked for their best price. Then a buddy knew a guy high up with AutoNation who ended up blowing the doors off the other dealers.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:41 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy View Post
Nice car! I just got a truck and did the same as you. I got with a number of dealers, gave them specifics and asked for their best price. Then a buddy knew a guy high up with AutoNation who ended up blowing the doors off the other dealers.
Funny thing is, one of the sales people contacted me yesterday through email about their offer. I replied and told them that I had already purchased one from another dealer.

They responded back and asked "what did we do wrong to lose your business?"

I replied back "you were 1500 dollars higher"

They then replied "we probably could have matched their price"

So I replied, "well, you should have gave me that price to begin with, I made myself perfectly clear in the email what I was looking for and that was your lowest price OTD, so you must of thought I was either not serious or looking to play games, and this time, you lost the game"

She replied one last time saying "Well, sir, you didn't even give us an opportunity to lower our price"

My reply was "yes I did, when I sent the original email asking for your BEST price, out the door including incentives, TAVT and fees. I didn't ask for your almost best price or your best price until someone comes in lower or the price after we negotiate the non-negotiable doc and destination fees. I simply asked for the best price and you wanted to start high and go from there, you really should read over this email stream, because now you claim you could have matched the price and that clearly shows the dishonesty in your first offer."

She hasn't replied back
Old 05-26-2018, 06:21 PM
THE PLACE Member

I've always wound up with the best price by letting them compete via email. Local dealer hates anyone else to sell a car to anyone in the area. The last time, the closest example of what we wanted was at a dealer about fifty miles from here. He got that car from that dealer about fifty miles from here and sold it to us less than that dealer would. As best I can tell, they made about $200 on the deal.

I agree with the buying new. I used to always pay cash for used, but not the past few times. I don't get why used cars are so overpriced these days, but that is how it is around here.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:00 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
Funny thing is, one of the sales people contacted me yesterday through email about their offer. I replied and told them that I had already purchased one from another dealer.

They responded back and asked "what did we do wrong to lose your business?"

I replied back "you were 1500 dollars higher"

They then replied "we probably could have matched their price"

So I replied, "well, you should have gave me that price to begin with, I made myself perfectly clear in the email what I was looking for and that was your lowest price OTD, so you must of thought I was either not serious or looking to play games, and this time, you lost the game"

She replied one last time saying "Well, sir, you didn't even give us an opportunity to lower our price"

My reply was "yes I did, when I sent the original email asking for your BEST price, out the door including incentives, TAVT and fees. I didn't ask for your almost best price or your best price until someone comes in lower or the price after we negotiate the non-negotiable doc and destination fees. I simply asked for the best price and you wanted to start high and go from there, you really should read over this email stream, because now you claim you could have matched the price and that clearly shows the dishonesty in your first offer."

She hasn't replied back
“Almost best price”
Old 05-27-2018, 05:09 AM
THE PLACE Member

Can't hide money. Gonna call you sixes quickdraw now. Congrats you your daughter.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:53 AM
THE PLACE Member

Nice ride!!!
Old 05-27-2018, 08:03 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
Can't hide money. Gonna call you sixes quickdraw now. Congrats you your daughter.
Yep, cause paying 250 a month is living the high life

Now out of state bear hunting and hunting mountain lions, that must be what poor folks do
Old 05-27-2018, 08:34 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:

Now out of state bear hunting and hunting mountain lions, that must be what poor folks do
And fishing in Fl all summer
Old 05-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Good Deal Tim!! Nice little ride!

I let Lane drive my truck all around the hunt club county roads now. He’s 10.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:15 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Good Deal Tim!! Nice little ride!

I let Lane drive my truck all around the hunt club county roads now. He’s 10.
That's how my daughter started, Driving the 4 door Chevy around the hunt clubs,, She learned how to drive the streets of Tampa in that thing.. And she did damn good

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 05-27-2018, 04:58 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Quote:

Bahamas and Helen georgia too....
Old 05-27-2018, 05:08 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Quote:

Old 05-27-2018, 05:13 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Quote:
Must really be bragging to post it twice