The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Shooting The Bull
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2017, 08:27 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OFD2Truck View Post
That's a butt load of hardware Ryan and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. You obviously had no choice and yes I agree with you about making it a last resort. I have a another opinion lined up more so for my wife who tends to be a web MD physician. Sounds like the two both agreed that C5-7 would need to be fused along with opening the area that is impinging on the nerve. My only symptom really is I'm losing all my muscle on the left sid including my pec. Both said the longer this is allowed to impinge on this nerve the greater the chances are that the atrophy will be permanent and left untreated could cause paralysis. I'm in no pain so to speak and they keep asking if I want oxys and they look at me like I have two heads when I tell them he'll no (hypersensitivity to narcs). Both said they would go through the front and procedure would be two hours. Thanks for the input and my only concern is getting back post surgery and do 4 more years and get the hell out of here!
I'd say I would be leaning toward surgery as well. Which Ortho clinic are you considering using?
Old 02-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Just gettin by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
I'd say I would be leaning toward surgery as well. Which Ortho clinic are you considering using?
Orlando neurosurgery and spine. Surgeon I like so far is a max Medary. Has a great bedside manner and answered all my questions and Christys. Aren't you in this field Quickie?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Orlando neurosurgery and spine.
Dr Stephen Goll from Orlando Orthopaedic Center is who put my rods in. Great Dr. I was operated on at ORMC and stayed there 11 days before being transferred to Lucerne Medical Center where I did my rehab.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,

Last edited by Gimp : 02-22-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Just gettin by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Dr Stephen Goll from Orlando Orthopaedic Center is who put my rods in. Great Dr. I was operated on at ORMC and stayed there 11 days before being transferred to Lucerne Medical Center where I did my rehab.
Lucerne is where I did my intubation labs in medic school. They shut down years ago and its a vacant lot now....... demolished the whole place a couple years back
Old 02-22-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Lucerne is where I did my intubation labs in medic school. They shut down years ago and its a vacant lot now....... demolished the whole place a couple years back
Sad. It was a great hospital. They must be sending all new gimps to Tampa General or the Shepherd Center up here in the ATL for rehab

I figured once Dr. J Darrell Shea passed away, Lucerne's days would be numbered.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,

Last edited by Gimp : 02-22-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:59 PM
THE PLACE Member

Mine was pretty much out of necessity after my crash. It was sort of do it and have a chance to live a normal walker life. It worked for me. Lots of metal in me but so far it's all held up and I have few times that I have discomfort.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Mine was pretty much out of necessity after my crash. It was sort of do it and have a chance to live a normal walker life. It worked for me. Lots of metal in me but so far it's all held up and I have few times that I have discomfort.
I guess I had almost forgot how close you were to being one of "us". Thankfully mine has held up too and don't give me TOO much problem. Drastic weather changes can cause me to hurt sometimes.

A lot of gimps I know are strung out on oxy because of nerve pain. Eff that. I'm a lucky man. I just wouldn't let anyone cut on my back again unless my life and sanity depended on it. Sounds like the case for Gio and Havana dude. Surgery of any kind freaks me out though. They have your life in their hands and they are human. Scary

Last edited by Gimp : 02-22-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:31 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Orlando neurosurgery and spine. Surgeon I like so far is a max Medary. Has a great bedside manner and answered all my questions and Christys. Aren't you in this field Quickie?
My wife is. She works for Ortho Ga in Macon as a charge nurse. I'm in the hematologic cancer business
Old 02-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Just gettin by

Quote:
My wife is. She works for Ortho Ga in Macon as a charge nurse. I'm in the hematologic cancer business
Hope I never have to come to you with questions!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Hope I never have to come to you with questions!
I hope not either. Multiple Myeloma is still a incurable cancer but median survival
Is up to 10 years now with these new treatments
Old 02-24-2017, 08:06 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
I hope not either. Multiple Myeloma is still a incurable cancer but median survival
Is up to 10 years now with these new treatments
Wow, my dad was diagnosed in early 2010, and made it till sept 2012, with a stem cell transplant. He was told 5-6 years then. The treatments pretty much effed up his quality of life, but it did enable him to spend some time with one of my sisters kids.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:32 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana Dude View Post
Wow, my dad was diagnosed in early 2010, and made it till sept 2012, with a stem cell transplant. He was told 5-6 years then. The treatments pretty much effed up his quality of life, but it did enable him to spend some time with one of my sisters kids.
Hate that. I remember when your Dad had MM. The median survival following stem cell transplant was 9.3 years on a trial we just closed out. Patients received Revlimid after transplant as continuous treatment. Drug just approved by the FDA yesterday for maintenance treatment. Great new for patients!
Old 02-25-2017, 12:31 PM
THE PLACE Member

QD, are you saying there is a new drug approved for matanence tx or the revlamed? He took revlamed, my God what an expensive drug. He had neuropathy so bad he could barely walk. That's great that patients are making it nearly 10 years. I just wonder what their quality of life is like. Dad was told after his transplant, that if/when it came back, that it would be bad. They did not lie. He was in excruciating pain, begging for help when hospice came in. I fed him morphine drops for 5 days as he slowly died. I'm pretty sure, going by their instructions, that I hastened his death. As bad as it sounds, I was glad to see him go. Toughest thing I ever had to do. Got about 6 hours sleep in 5 days. I frickin hate cancer, lost my dad, and sick of losing friends to it.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 PM
THE PLACE Member

OFD, sorry I got your thread off track.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:45 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havana Dude View Post
QD, are you saying there is a new drug approved for matanence tx or the revlamed? He took revlamed, my God what an expensive drug. He had neuropathy so bad he could barely walk. That's great that patients are making it nearly 10 years. I just wonder what their quality of life is like. Dad was told after his transplant, that if/when it came back, that it would be bad. They did not lie. He was in excruciating pain, begging for help when hospice came in. I fed him morphine drops for 5 days as he slowly died. I'm pretty sure, going by their instructions, that I hastened his death. As bad as it sounds, I was glad to see him go. Toughest thing I ever had to do. Got about 6 hours sleep in 5 days. I frickin hate cancer, lost my dad, and sick of losing friends to it.
The neuropathy was like likely caused by some other drugs pre transplant. Incidence rate with Revlimid is under 4% for neuropathy. But some other drugs like Thalidomide and Velcade are 50% of patients or more. MM is a horrible disease as most patients end up having compression fractures in lower back.