The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Shooting > Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2016, 11:55 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Default Best caliber for AR platform for deer hunting?

I have decided to buy me another AR15 here in the next few weeks. It will be a .223/5.56 to start with but I will also get another upper for big game hunting probably by next season. While I know good and well that with the right ammo choice, a .223 will kill Ga whitetail deer all day long there has to be better choices out there for an AR platform.

Opinions on the .300 blackout? 6.8 SPC? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 01-22-2016, 12:33 PM
THE PLACE Member

I think the 6.8 will be better for further ranges. I took my 300 blk hunting some but didn't shoot any deers with it. If you got a suppressor the 300 will cycle subsonic ammo and is very quiet and very fun. Supersonic would probably limit you to around 150 yards but I have shot mine a good bit at 200 and 300. With a 100 yard zero it's about 9 inches low at 200 and like 30 inches at 300. Mine is a 12.5" and I was surprised at how accurate it is. With a 1-4x scope I can hit a 5" plate almost every shot at 200 and mostly at 300. The reticle isn't the best for holding tight, with a duplex I think I could go 100% at either range. 300 blk uses same bolt and mags; 6.8 will need a new bolt and different mags. Not the entire bolt carrier, just the bolt. I'd get a whole bolt carrier group to be safe, one would be a different color too.

If I didn't have one and it was for hunting only I'd probably go with a 6.8 or maybe 6.5 Grendel (if ammo wasn't sky high, not sure on that). Pintail had or has one and he will probably know more.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:50 PM

Heck man, I've never shot a deer much over 100 yards away and don't have a clue how to shoot 300 I've killed a few too over the years, most within 50 to 60 yards though. I think my long shot is 108 yards She dropped in her tracks too.

I could hit myself upside the head for selling my Rock River entry tactical several years ago. All I would have needed is an upper and optics. I'm liking the .300 though
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 01-23-2016, 01:03 AM
THE PLACE Member

Ryan I have a 6.8 I like it fine. I have not hunted with it yet due to bad knees and not hunting the past several years but know it will do the job fine on any whitetail. I built it to take hog hunting but have yet to do that either.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:40 AM
THE PLACE Member

Just sell it to the gimp.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:28 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
Just sell it to the gimp.
I can't do that its my pride and joy.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:53 AM
Gone Hunting

I'm not a black gun shooter, but get the caliber you can shoot effectively and remember that the first trigger squeeze is the most important. I've watched way too many "AR nuts" squeeze off a magazine at 100 yard targets without placing a quality shot within a 2 inch circle of dead center. Sending ammo down range is fun, but control your weapon and aim.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:49 PM
HNIC

.308 upper if it's going to be a hunting rifle. Killed several with an AR-10 which is a .308. I'm in the process of building 300 blackout as we speak.

Red
Old 01-24-2016, 05:28 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
I can't do that its my pride and joy.
Don't tell your boys.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:42 PM
#MadeinthemothereffinUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Red View Post
.308 upper if it's going to be a hunting rifle. Killed several with an AR-10 which is a .308. I'm in the process of building 300 blackout as we speak.

Red
308 would take a different lower. But I agree, I would much rather hunt with a 308 over any AR15 based caliber. No doubt, they can get the job done though.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
Don't tell your boys.
Bryan asked me about you last night and if I had talked to you lately. Told him you were the hog master now LOl.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 AM
THE PLACE Member

If I had a better place to shoot longer ranges and more consistently I would consider a 6.5 creedmoor barrel for my 308.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:33 AM

I think Im just gonna pull a Scramage and ask for advice and then just go totally against said advice and get the .300 BLK anyway

Last edited by Gimp : 01-25-2016 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:46 AM
THE PLACE Member

Nothing wrong with it. I enjoy shooting mine. Even without a can the subs will be quieter and fun for short range. The one thing I like about it is that its turn key and no new bolt or mags needed.