The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Shooting > Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2015, 10:18 AM
Dammit Man

Default Handgun for the wife

I am looking for opinions on a handgun for my wife. I have looked at and really like the Smith M&P Bodyguard 380. The Ruger LCP is in the running as well. What are some others I may need to consider?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:29 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Dont overlook the Smith and Wesson 642 airweight .38 Easily concealable, no worry about jamming, lightweight, plenty of firepower using the +P ammo.

It may be best to take her and let her hold a few and see what she is comfortable with

"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 12-17-2015, 10:32 AM
THE PLACE Member

I carry the exact one that Ryan posted, mine has crimson trace laser grips. Shoots very good and packs a pop.

Cherokee Gun had them for 349 recently
Old 12-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Dammit Man

Can you get a laser sight added to the Airweight?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:47 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flattop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
I carry the exact one that Ryan posted, mine has crimson trace laser grips. Shoots very good and packs a pop.

Well it seems you can
Old 12-17-2015, 10:47 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flattop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Dont overlook the Smith and Wesson 642 airweight .38 Easily concealable, no worry about jamming, lightweight, plenty of firepower using the +P ammo.

It may be best to take her and let her hold a few and see what she is comfortable with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post

Here ya go Flatty. Figured this may help your reading comprehension.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:48 AM
Dammit Man

I see that now!
Old 12-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Dammit Bobby

Let her shoot several and see what feels best. I have an LCP I may be interested in parting with if that is what she decides on.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Antler Addict

If your wife has small hands stay away from the micro autos. My wife does not like my LCP 380. She can shoot it because her training has her gripping by the book...but she does not enjoy it. The guy I train with often pushes for women to use a mid sized 9mm or a full size. I would let her shoot them and see which she can be comfortable with. Depending on how she would carry it...if she will be carrying it. A full size 9mm would be easier for her to shoot. Like a G19. My wife loves her Walther p99 above all the rest. The larger frame allows her more control when it matters. Some of the single stack 9mms may be easier on her than the wheelie gun if she will carry it concealed.

Let her shoot them if this is a carry weapon. It will be a paper weight if she isn't comfortable enough to carry and rely on it.

I am getting a G43 for Christmas...we both shot this gun a few months back and my wife actually liked it more than I did.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Dammit Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
Let her shoot several and see what feels best. I have an LCP I may be interested in parting with if that is what she decides on.
We will definitely be shooting and trying several. She wants to carry on occasions and that is what I was looking for. I will keep in mind the LCP you have.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Dammit Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
If your wife has small hands stay away from the micro autos. My wife does not like my LCP 380. She can shoot it because her training has her gripping by the book...but she does not enjoy it. The guy I train with often pushes for women to use a mid sized 9mm or a full size. I would let her shoot them and see which she can be comfortable with. Depending on how she would carry it...if she will be carrying it. A full size 9mm would be easier for her to shoot. Like a G19. My wife loves her Walther p99 above all the rest. The larger frame allows her more control when it matters. Some of the single stack 9mms may be easier on her than the wheelie gun if she will carry it concealed.

Let her shoot them if this is a carry weapon. It will be a paper weight if she isn't comfortable enough to carry and rely on it.

I am getting a G43 for Christmas...we both shot this gun a few months back and my wife actually liked it more than I did.

Great advice Will. Thanks
Old 12-17-2015, 11:37 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

The reason I mention a wheelie gun is because there is zero chance of stovepiping. With that said, I carry a G23 .40 cal. A G21 is my nightstand gun. The only problem Ive had with jamming was a Springfield 1911 when shooting cheap ass fmj ammo.

Here is the 642 with Crimson Trace.

"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,

Last edited by Gimp : 12-17-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:11 PM
THE PLACE Member

My buddy just bought a S&W Bodyguard in .38. It has laser grips from the factory, but I actually like mine better. His has to be turned on at the top of the handle, where mine turns on using the grip with the middle finger.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:22 PM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
The reason I mention a wheelie gun is because there is zero chance of stovepiping. With that said, I carry a G23 .40 cal. A G21 is my nightstand gun. The only problem Ive had with jamming was a Springfield 1911 when shooting cheap ass fmj ammo.

Here is the 642 with Crimson Trace.

I agree on the jam/malfuntion aspect of a wheelie gun vs an auto. But proper training, which I think any woman who may be carrying, should absolutely involve resolving malfunctions. You can buy fake ammo to install in the magazine at random locations in the lineup and force the shooter to clear malfunctions. It is a must in firearms training IMO. Being prepared for every possible reaction while shooting. Let someone else load the mag...and start a shooting scenario and let it surprise her. If speed is an element, you can see how she handles confusion and whether she gets flustered or not. But it makes familiar most problems that could arise. But you are correct...you avoid most malfunctions with a wheelie gun.

Also, in a close quarters situation lasers are irrelevant. If you can't hit center mass without the laser at 20 ft or less...you shouldn't be carrying anyway. Lights are more valuable in a conceal carry weapon than a laser. Identifying your target is more important than using a dot to aim. You won't find many handgun trainers who differ in this argument. The problem with both additions is they can give your position away if you mistakenly turn them on when drawing.

My new G43 will look like this...http://www.lasermax.com/news/new-las...-fits-glock-43

Last edited by GThunter : 12-17-2015 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Mean muggin

I just got mine the new striker fire ruger lc9s. Sweet trigger in it, kinda wish I had one now too. Much better than the hammer fire original version.