The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Project and Fix It
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Looks like somebody ran out of the proper screw, at the end of the day, and didn't want to come back.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Looks like somebody ran out of the proper screw, at the end of the day, and didn't want to come back.
Friday afternoon job
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Wall Flower

That is a European hinge. They have an adjustable feature not typical to most hinges but other than that, they suck. They screw to the inside edge of the rail. Should be easy to fix but you will have to get someone to do it.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM

Ok, here's my theory of what happened. That screw looks like many of the cabinet hinge screws I've run across, & I've dealt with quite a few over the last 20 years. Properly installed, that screw has a tremendous amount of holding power in oak. I think what happened is that the contractor probably broke his last drill bit that was the correct size for drilling the pilot holes, & went to the next size up which removed too much wood for the screw to hold tight enough. The drill bits that are used are very small, & are easily broken if torqued while in the wood.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Dawg View Post
Ok, here's my theory of what happened. That screw looks like many of the cabinet hinge screws I've run across, & I've dealt with quite a few over the last 20 years. Properly installed, that screw has a tremendous amount of holding power in oak. I think what happened is that the contractor probably broke his last drill bit that was the correct size for drilling the pilot holes, & went to the next size up which removed too much wood for the screw to hold tight enough. The drill bits that are used are very small, & are easily broken if torqued while in the wood.
So what would the easy fix be? Use a longer screw? Or use broken toothpicks or golf tees to fill the holes and redrill into that? \

I have actually got 3 or 4 doors that need to be redone. One I was able to fix myself by using a longer screw.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 06-24-2013, 12:17 PM
THE PLACE Member

The builder probably figured a gimp would buy the house and wouldn't be using the upper cabinets.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
So what would the easy fix be? Use a longer screw? Or use broken toothpicks or golf tees to fill the holes and redrill into that? \

I have actually got 3 or 4 doors that need to be redone. One I was able to fix myself by using a longer screw.
If these are the screws that run into the stiles ( the upright part of the frame), I'd use a longer screw. Should be able to run a 1 1/4" screw in without any problem. If it screws into the door, I wouldn't go any longer than 5/8". You can also go with a fatter screw. The one you pictured looks like a #6 x 3/8". You could probably run in a #8 or #10 which would properly thread the hole. If you do use a fatter screw, it still wouldn't hurt to add at least 1/8" - 1/4" in length. You could use toothpicks, but the problem with that is the possibility of the wood on wood loosing grip & pulling back out. I guess you could glue it in place & re-drill it after it sets up.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Dawg View Post
If these are the screws that run into the stiles ( the upright part of the frame),
They are
Old 06-24-2013, 12:50 PM

its these screws here in every door that is loose.

the only problem I see with going with a "fatter" screw is not being able to get it through the holes on the hinge itself.

if that makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg european-hinge.jpg (54.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM
I'd rather be hunting

I haven't been by Randy. It might also be beneficial to plug the holes with a golf tee and wood glue and then put the screw back in it.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:23 PM
THE PLACE Member

Same kind I have. I have one that gives me fits continuously. I just haven't taken the time to do a permanent fix on it. Also may want to be aware, unless they have changed the design of them, there is a component in the hinge that is plastic. It obviously has something to do with helping to hold the door firmly closed, as we know when one goes bad by finding the door won't stay closed and will hang open an inch or 2. Mine are 17 years old, so they may have changed design. The only thing I know to do when that happens is to replace the hinge. You will also know if it pops and you find a small piece of plastic laying on the floor or counter top.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM
THE PLACE Member

I had those exact ones in my log home. Screws pulled out all the time. Pain in the arse!
Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Done! Thanks Randy ngabowhunter

Last edited by Gimp : 06-29-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Done! Thanks Randy ngabowhunter
Not a problem,enjoyed it
Old 04-20-2016, 01:29 PM
THE PLACE Member

Did you fix it?