The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > The Duck Blind
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Shady Acres Farm & kennel

Default Calling help and pointers......................

questions, tips, and advice..............post it here.

See this thread for instructions on posting a audio file.

http://www.theoutdoorsplace.net/showthread.php?t=56653

Have fun.......
I guess I need to learn not to be so blunt, honest, and to the point. Some people would rather me animate prevications so I may inspire ones distorted fantasy of what their preception of reality really is, per say.

Shmelton
Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 AM
THE PLACE Member

If at all possible, get with someone who knows how to call before giving up. Lots of folks get wrong or misunderstood info that leads them to giving up. Just about any call will work if properly operated, there are some that are not worth throwing in the drink however.

If you want to learn how to operate a goose call efficiently, get Bad Grammer DVD and CD from Scott Threinen www.moltgear.com . Hands down the absolute best instructional material on the market from the very beginner phase to the efficient user. I recommend it to every one I sell a call to.

Last edited by clent586 : 08-16-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 AM
THE PLACE Member

ive been practicing a lot on my clent gooser. im feeling a lot better about it on my clucks and honks.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 AM
iHonk

That second file u sent last night sounded better than the first. I'm not a world champ caller but I can speak goose. Next time were together I'll see of I can help ya out some. Maybe show ya something that I do that u might can use.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 AM
THE PLACE Member

[quote=clent586;821763]If at all possible, get with someone who knows how to call before giving up. Lots of folks get wrong or misunderstood info that leads them to giving up. Just about any call will work if properly operated, there are some that are not worth throwing in the drink however.

If you want to learn how to operate a goose call efficiently, get Bad Grammer DVD and CD from Scott Threinen www.moltgear.com . Hands down the absolute best instructional material on the market from the very beginner phase to the efficient user. I recommend it to every one I sell a call to.[/QUOTE

still been wanting to get one of these. is the cd or dvd better to learn with?
Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 AM
THE PLACE Member

[quote=mcrebel;821826]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clent586 View Post
If at all possible, get with someone who knows how to call before giving up. Lots of folks get wrong or misunderstood info that leads them to giving up. Just about any call will work if properly operated, there are some that are not worth throwing in the drink however.

If you want to learn how to operate a goose call efficiently, get Bad Grammer DVD and CD from Scott Threinen www.moltgear.com . Hands down the absolute best instructional material on the market from the very beginner phase to the efficient user. I recommend it to every one I sell a call to.[/QUOTE

still been wanting to get one of these. is the cd or dvd better to learn with?
DVD if you can only pick one of them. Seeing someone do it is 10x better than just hearing someone do it.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:00 AM
iHonk

[quote=clent586;821840]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrebel View Post

DVD if you can only pick one of them. Seeing someone do it is 10x better than just hearing someone do it.

I've only seen the Premos DVD but I aslo looked up stuff on YouTube. I agree with Clent watching someone call and tryin to replicate what their doing is how I learned. I still watch stuff and am always tryin to pick up on new tips and techniques to make me a better caller. I keep a few calls with me in the truck and practice while I'm driving.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:00 PM
THE PLACE Member

[quote=PintailM2;821845]
Quote:

I've only seen the Premos DVD but I aslo looked up stuff on YouTube. I agree with Clent watching someone call and tryin to replicate what their doing is how I learned. I still watch stuff and am always tryin to pick up on new tips and techniques to make me a better caller. I keep a few calls with me in the truck and practice while I'm driving.
yea i brought my gooser over today for you to tell me what i need to work on, but maybe we should have a callin day at next dog trainin

and somebody with a cutdown post up an audio file
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
THE PLACE Member

[quote=PintailM2;821845]
Quote:

I've only seen the Premos DVD
No offense man but the Bad Grammer is so far ahead of that Primos video it is unreal. Yall boys save your penny's and get Scott's DVD. If it is not everything I say it is, I will buy it from you.....
Old 08-16-2011, 09:44 PM
iHonk

[quote=clent586;822300]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PintailM2 View Post

No offense man but the Bad Grammer is so far ahead of that Primos video it is unreal. Yall boys save your penny's and get Scott's DVD. If it is not everything I say it is, I will buy it from you.....
Ill have to get that!
Old 08-16-2011, 09:52 PM
misfire game calls

I had a video from Buck Gardner that had some really good tips and pointers.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:56 PM
THE PLACE Member

Default Cutdown Tutorial

I got this off a site years ago that no longer exists. I hope this will help those of you who wonder or want to learn how to operate a cutdown style call.

And by the way......there are alot of folks out there who think you have to blow straight clean air into a call; this is false. It is a combination of clean and hot air. Once you put the voice, grunt, hot air into a call it should carry out with a little clean air. You will rarely ever get that ducky sound blowing straight air out of any call. This was brought up in a discussion and I am certainly not pointing at anyone on this site. Now to the tutorial

Of paramount importance is to place the call to your mouth as you would drinking one of those old timey glass 8 ounce coke bottles. Bury the upper lip and some of the bottom. Think of how a trumpet player purses the lips to blow a trumpet.

Think of getting in a car and mashing on the gas pedal and the brake at the same time. You are not using a lot of air but you are pressurizing the heck out of what air you do use.

Then, remember the scope of calling used by the old IL, AR and MO river hunters was very limited. There was no top to bottom pitch range------no high ball------no come back and none of the stuff you associate with your Stuttgart contest callers. That is a great sport nonetheless but the key hole as used by the rice farm hand of old who guided to buy Christmas for his family is a different animal.

The routine I was raised on is simple-----the bark, the quack, the plead, the chuckle and the machine gun feed call.

Bark - A versatile call usually consisting of three to four notes. This call is used to hail, as a come back or to seal the deal. It can be loud and abrupt to hail. It can be of medium volume to use on the wings and tails as they hit the corners or it can be very soft in three note bursts to ice the cake. It can be clean or it can be gravely. You can squeal the first few notes simulate a full craw of rice or acorns.

Quack - The most misunderstood call in meat calling and the most effective. Most people want to learn the rolling feed call or highball. They take for granted the foundation of calling the quack. They mistake making quacks for the mallard distress signal which can be heard when you spook some hens off the water.

The relaxed quack is very brief and subtle. It may be close in succession like the quacks of the mallard distress signal but it is very faint and relaxed. The rule of thumb is to never make you quacks to close to one another------space them out.

Then there is the higher pitched short and choppy quack used when ducks and just about to light.

I think if a man could only use one call the quack would be it.

Plead - When it comes to calling, don't be a Presbyterian-------be a Pentecostal------PLEAD with that hen and her drakes up above you. Drag the bark out---" QUAHHHH----IIITTTT.....QUAH.....QUAHH...quit. quit. Whine and beg, moan and plead.

Chuckle - You'll hear it when ducks are overhead right at first light. They make that crackling noise and yes I know duck call salesmen say they only do it in the air but if you know how to do it, it will soothe early morning ducks and draw them in. ( Tooka-tooka-ticka-tickatickatickaticka----ticaticaticatica )

Machinegun feed call - a great deal sealer and certainly in order when you are hunting around a lot of food. I do not think it is a feed call per se. I think it is an annoyance call a hen makes when she has either found a male she likes or she has found a bunch of food. The hen will often make it in single notes---" tut-tut" or tat-tat---then to sound like more than one hen--ta-ta ta-ta tat....ta ta tat making sure you are still pursing the lips as with the old coke bottle or trumpet. This is what gives it that full, throaty sound making it sound almost like a quack and not a duck hunter going tick tick tick into the call. Whatever the reason, it makes tired or lonely ducks curious. You don't have to do it loudly. Remember you are in their living room. They are keen to duck language.

So.......

Pressurize the air

Make a relaxed short quack " quit " " quit "

Bark - created by extending the quack " QUAHHHHHiiiiiiit "

Chuckle when you hear them chuckle - " ticka ticka......"

Machinegun feed - softly with the lips purse and air pressurized ---- ta-ta-tat---tat--tat---ta---ta---tat
Old 08-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Shady Acres Farm & kennel

call of the day....................
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 duckcall.mp3 (514.6 KB, 90 views)
I guess I need to learn not to be so blunt, honest, and to the point. Some people would rather me animate prevications so I may inspire ones distorted fantasy of what their preception of reality really is, per say.

Shmelton
Old 08-25-2011, 04:53 PM
THE PLACE Member

thats my pal quackerwacker. nice
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 PM
THE PLACE Member

what call you tootin quackwacker?