The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Outdoors > Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 AM
nicole*

Default Nissan Xterra

What'cha know about these trucks?

I've been looking at the 4runners and 4 door tacomas (old body style, 99-03) and came across a good looking, low miles Xterra thats a few years newer than the comparable 4runner... and a better price at that. I did a test drive, and i really liked that it was a lot like the Trooper -- more like a truck than a car, but still felt comfortable on bumpy roads and a good turning radius.

....but I dont know much about the reliability/durability of Nissans.... you can't go wrong with a toyota, I know that much, but what do y'all think?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Dammit Bobby

Don't know much about the XTerra but Nissan makes a good vehicle.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Dammit Man

I have rented the xterra a few times while traveling for buisness. They drive nice and handle well. I do not know anything about durability though. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:51 AM
nicole*

yeah, all the reviews I've read complain that its too "truck like" and "too much aimed at the younger generation" ... well i want one thats truck like, and hey, i'm young

I really liked the cargo space - very comparable to my trooper. BUT the back glass doesn't open at all, just the entire back door. weird.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
yeah, all the reviews I've read complain that its too "truck like" and "too much aimed at the younger generation" ... well i want one thats truck like, and hey, i'm young

I really liked the cargo space - very comparable to my trooper. BUT the back glass doesn't open at all, just the entire back door. weird.

Wanting the glass to open originated becasue old people wanted that.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 AM
THE PLACE Member

I really don't know much about the exterra, but have never really heard any mass complaints about nissan's products overall. They make good vehicles IMO
Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
I approve this message!

Might not be an issue for you, but there's very little head room in the xterrra, anyone over 6ft driving will have to take his hat off. Other than that, I liked it. My inlaws had one, decent driver and not too hard on the wallet.

Nick T
Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 AM
nicole*

as far as head room, i'm 5'10 and felt ok in it. Derrick was with me, and at 6'3 he didn't complain about it at all. I really liked how the back seats are a little higher as well, and they seemed to have plenty of head room when I moved around back there... The rear passenger doors were a bit small though, didn't swing as far open as I'd like.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I approve this message!

The one they had was one of the first year models they put out, so they might have changed something between then and now. It was a neat little SUV and back then I think it was stickered for $24K with auto tranny, which is a steal for just about any vehicle these days.

Nick T
Old 04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
MCLMM

They are very dependable vehicles BUT... YOU WILL HATE THE GAS MILAGE!!! Trust me, it guzzles gas faster than I drink vodka!
Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM
nicole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble4me View Post
They are very dependable vehicles BUT... YOU WILL HATE THE GAS MILAGE!!! Trust me, it guzzles gas faster than I drink vodka!
the trooper gets about 14mpg on a good day ... so pretty much anything will be equal or better.

my drive is about 15 miles round trip per day -- and then on the weekends it all highway miles. The Xterra does have a bigger gas tank - 19+ gal. so it will SEEM like its more, but it'll last a bit longer than the 5-6 days i get on my 16 gal. tank

Just time for an upgrade I think.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Pintail is my best good chum

good vehicle
Old 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM
THE PLACE Member

I have a Titan, which is a 8cyl. The truck is AWESOME, drives like a car, awesome handling, PLENTY of interior room on the 4 door model I have, and dependability like I have never seen in a vehicle. Just past 75,000 miles and only have had to buy a new battery last week.

Only down side is like ole Ray said, it actually drinks gas much faster than Ray drinks vodka!!!!! But I dont think you can go wrong with a Nissan truck at all or the Pathfinder, both awesome vehicles!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:23 PM
nicole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scshep2002 View Post
I have a Titan, which is a 8cyl. The truck is AWESOME, drives like a car, awesome handling, PLENTY of interior room on the 4 door model I have, and dependability like I have never seen in a vehicle. Just past 75,000 miles and only have had to buy a new battery last week.

Only down side is like ole Ray said, it actually drinks gas much faster than Ray drinks vodka!!!!! But I dont think you can go wrong with a Nissan truck at all or the Pathfinder, both awesome vehicles!
what engine is inthe titan?

i'm getting mixed feedback on the mpg to be expected -- some folks say pretty good but to be expected from an SUV -- and yall are saying its pretty bad.

the 04 has a 3.3 V6 .. and the 05 has a 4.0 V6, i'm sure that makes a bit of a difference on consumption, but the 05 is supposed to be "more efficient."
Old 04-21-2008, 07:50 PM
THE PLACE Member

A buddy has the 2000 xterra. Great dependabilty, looks cool, drives good. But it sucks gas thru a BIG straw. He's lucky to get 12 mpg.