The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Hunters Journal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Thursday 11-18
Well old faithful barked again this morning, but not at a shooter buck, but a coyote. I almost didn't squeeze the trigger, but we have more yote's than carter has liver pills, and I did the deal. It turned out to be a pretty coyote, and I am either going to ahve it mounted, or at the very least get the hide tanned. I took it at 7:15. About 8:20 a small 6pt came out into the cutover. That was it as far as deer sightings go today. I did find oone killer spot that I will be hunting in the am. It is along a transition area between the cutover, and some hardwoods. The deer are using a fire break as afunnel, and I will be there in the am. There is ton of sign, and some descent rubs along the funnell, so we'll see what happens. I'll have the pistola in the AM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yote 11-18 004 (712 x 536).jpg (88.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg Yote 11-18 008 (712 x 536).jpg (109.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

That's a very pretty yote!

I "canned" a yote in this morning myself. Rolled the can over a couple of times and it exploded out of some thick pines right in front of me looking around for breakfast....

I didn't squeeze a round off however... I was "Horn Whoring" this morning.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Friday 11-19

Sloooooooooooooooow day. I mean very slow. The squirrells even took a rest today. Hunted a great lookin new area, and didn't see a thing. I did see some sort of ferret/weasel looking animal this afternoon, but other than him nothing to right home about. Tomorrow morning I am going back to where I saw the three bucks earlier in the week. I can only hunt tomorrow AM, so I am going to put in a long sit until 1 or 2pm, and see what happens.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 PM
THE PLACE Member

Saw most movement late in the morning over the last 3 days, 930 and later and some movement early afternoon 330 til dark
Old 11-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Thanks Sixes. The only deer I saw this morning was at 9:51. It was a half racked spike. I couldn't hunt this evening, but will be going back out tomorrow morning.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Sunday 11-21
Slept in today and got on stand at 9:50, hunted until 1:30, and didn't see any deer. I will hit them hard this upcoming holiday week. I have got to break the ice with the pistol. I'll be back in a tree Wednesday afternoon.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:32 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawken View Post
Sunday 11-21
Slept in today and got on stand at 9:50, hunted until 1:30, and didn't see any deer. I will hit them hard this upcoming holiday week. I have got to break the ice with the pistol. I'll be back in a tree Wednesday afternoon.
Full moon and warm temps have slowed things down Im sure. Dark nights and some cold temps and deer will get back after it. Its about that time for some of the first year does to come into estrous
Old 11-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Wednesday 11-24
I hunted a pinch point along the top of a hard wood ridge this evening. Didn't see anything. I'm going to go back in the morning. This is aperfect spot for a pistol. Your max shot is 40 yards, but more likey going to be within 20 yards. Will hunt until 11am or so tomorrow then time For Dinner. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Thursday 11-25
Didn't see athing today either. I just knew I would see something this morning. I really have a lot of confidence in this spot, it just didn't pan out. It was a touch humid, but other than that perfect conditions. Tonight I hunted in a food plot, and didnt see anything. I am going to hunt tomorrow morning until noon or so then call it a day. I think Saturday morning will be really good! It's supposed to be windy & rainy all day tomorrow, and if that's the case with the temps dropping saturday and if it's calm, it should be mighty fine. We'll see!
Old 11-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Friday 11-26
Hunted my pinch point on the hard wood ridge again this morning, and saw a tall but small 8 pointer at 7:30. That was it. THe wind & rain really picked up about 10am, and I got down at 11. Didn't hunt tonight. I'll be back after them in the morning. I can't remember a year where I have seen more bucks in Georgia while hunting. It's very fine place to hunt. To bad it's run by freakin jerk. With as many small bucks as we are seeing, in a few years this place should be a mecca. I just can't stick around and bear all the bullshit that goes with this place. Anyway, back after them in the AM. Hopefully the Ruger Redhawk will bark, and I'll claim my first with a hand cannon.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Saturday 11-27
I had high hopes for today, but they didn't pan out. Awful windy day. This morning you could have made a blooper show if you had been filiming me. It all started out when I decided to take a different route into my funnel loc on stand, and on top of taking a different route, I thought I would go in to stealth mode and not use a light. Which normally is no problem if you know where your going. Anyway I stepped in a huge hole, and fell into a bunch of briars, and as I fell the bandollier holster I had across my chest thumped me pretty good in the fore head. Then I got my tree and I had intentionally not worn my jacket because I didnt want to sweat going in or climbing up. I got up the tree about thirty feet up, and dropped my jacket. So I had to go all the way down and retreve it. Also so saw no deer. Hunted until 11AM. Very forgetable morning. This afternoon I tried a area I had scouted in August, but just never bothered to hunt until now. I didn't see a thing, however I will hunt here again in more favorable conditions. There's a ton of sign in there, and its a pain in the ass to get there and will be a nightmare getting a deer out. Just THE PLACE where you may shoot something to brag about. Tomorrow I'm going to hunt the clear cut. I really want to shoot a deer with my late fathers pistol, but the deer are in the clear cut right now, so I'm breaking out old faithful, and we'll see what transpires in the AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:04 PM
THE PLACE Member

Maybe yall can mutiny and get control of the land and kick out the jackass
Old 11-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
Maybe yall can mutiny and get control of the land and kick out the jackass
We ahve talked about it. It will be a tough to do. The landowner does not want any drama, and we are afraid if we aproach him about it, he'll just say to heck with it, and lease the land to someone else. He made it perfectly clear he does not want drama, and does not want to baby sit grown men. Also the land has an overseer, and the jerk that runs are club has him fooled. It's like Eddie haskell used to act around Beaver's folks. That's that's the way this guy acts towards the overseer. Then when the overseer leaves, this fool makes fun of him. Anyway I hunted Sunday morning and didn't see anything. I did move my climber to a small island of tree's in the clear cut, and I should catch something out there. At this point, I'm just lookin to shoot a couple of does for the freezer. In the back of my head, I still think I could connect on a shooter buck. This is awesome ground, and I paln on hunting the string out pretty hard.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Slow weekend. DIdn't get to hunt as much as I had planned. On Friday, I hunted the hard wood ridge pich point where I ahd seen a small 8pt Friday after Thanksgiving. I didn't see a thing. Then yesterday Morning I hunted the clear cut and saw a button buck and one doe. I wpould have shot if she woud ahve given me a descent shot. All I ahd was a 150 yard neck shot. I'm not a big neck shot guy, so I rolled the dice thinking she may present a better shot, but she didn't. Then today hunted in wind and didn't see a thing. I was the only one on the club, so around 10am, I got down and walked for about an hour. Kind doing a little still hunt/scouting. Found some very good turkey sign, and some descent buck rubs. I walked an area of the club, I hadn't spent much time, and was pleased with what I found. Oh' well back after them next weekend.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:07 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

I only hunted yesterday morning, and didn't see a deer. I did however see a ton of turkeys. Looking forward to the spring. I did doa little bit of walking and found a spot in a finger of timber the deer seem to be usuing pretty regular. I stuck a trail cam in there, and look forward to seeing what it will catch. I still want to shoot a deer with my pistol. I'm starting to see what the bow only guys deal with as far as trying to stay concealed but yet get close enough, with limited cover. Definately a challenge.