THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Hunters Journal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Carpe Scrotum

Default bro, I lost one camera.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
and we've all enjoyed all these videos you've shown us...
Then I had a computer go down with some video on it

But I'm getting better wid it... I only have some coons from this year
Old 10-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Saturday Oct 23,
I saw 11 deer on stand yesterday, (So much for lack of deer sightings during a full moon) , 6 different Bucks, and three unidentified deer, and two does. I cannot buy a doe in pistol range right now. It is unreal. Anyway right at first light I had a 6pt, and a cow horn spike walk in the same trail I came up. They got about 30 yards away and started to act spooky. After about ten minutes, a yearling doe came in, and they began to chase here around. Then at 8:30 a doe, and another deer I couldn't positively ID, walked the edge of some thick cutover, and the hard woods I was in. I could not get a shot on the doe. I was hunting with a pistol, and 50 yards is my max range. Then at 9:30 a single deer came up the same trail the previous doe, and unidentified deer came up. Then around 11:30 I was considering getting down when a button buck walked in and started feeding around me. While he was feeding another buck, a spike with about a 6inch spike on one side, and a small 2 inch spike on the other side came in and fed with him. I watched them for about 15 minutes until they left. Then I got down went to my truck ate a quick sandwich, and got right back in the woods. At 5:15, two deer came running from the thick cutover and into my section of hard woods. They were down hill form me at first and could onlyget bits and pieces of them. One of them apperred to be a shooter buck. He had a real dark colered rack, and was out side his ears. It was pure torture not being able to see his whole rack. Finaly him and the other deer got into an opening. This deer was very close. This lease they have to be 125 or better. This deer had long main beams, with decent tine length, but zero mass. I would guess 110-115 range. The deer he was with, was another small spike. To my amazement the small spike and this much bigger deer began to spar. Nothing serious, but I couldn't believe such a small racked deer would even attempt this with such a larger deer. (This is the second time in two weeks I have seen two bucks spar, Something I had only seen once in 25 years of deer hunting previous to this year),I'm sure y'all know the outcome to this deal. The spike eventually took off. The 8pt feed on some acorns and eventually left the area. At 6pm two more deer were seen crusing through the cutover. I will be moving my climber closer to this cutover, where I can potentially get more shot oppurtunities, as well as see what these deer are. It was a great day in the woods. I also saw another Bobcat, and that makes four bobcats I've seen this year. Today was very slow. I hunted the midday portion from 11-3, and didnt see anything. I am going to sneak out of work early one day this week, and hunt an evening this week.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Friday 10-29,
Hunted the loc on in the funnell. Dead evening!! No deer, a couple of tree rats, and two flocks of geese. I did hear some turkeys fly up across the clear cut. I'm trying a different area tomorrow morning. I'll be hunting with my 06, because this new spot isn't pistol friendly. Will report back tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Future Wyoming Resident

Saturday 10-30
I ddin't get to hunt the new spot like I had planned so I went back to my Loc On stand. I saw four does. That evening I hunted a ladder stand down by the river, and didn't see a thing.
Sunday 10-31
Just hunted the morning, and saw one freaky looking buck in the cutover. His left side was onre big deep fork, and the right side was aout a 8 inch or so spike. Definately a buck I would consider a cull buck, but we are only allowed one buck on this lease, and I'm not gonna use my buck tag on him. Uneventful other than that.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Future Wyoming Resident

Wednesday 11-3
I hunted on buudies palce this afternoon. I saw a spike around 4pm. My buddy told me I could shoot anything, but the weather being perfect and with the rut, I gave the little guy a pass. I am still trying to break the ice with Dad's pistol, so it was tempting. I have an invitation to go back tonight. We'll see what happens.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Team Deadweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawken View Post
Wednesday 11-3
I hunted on buudies palce this afternoon. I saw a spike around 4pm. My buddy told me I could shoot anything, but the weather being perfect and with the rut, I gave the little guy a pass. I am still trying to break the ice with Dad's pistol, so it was tempting. I have an invitation to go back tonight. We'll see what happens.
You won't be sorry you passed on the spike... believe me
Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Saturday 11-6
The young buck are going nuts running like a son of a gun. The does do not seem ready just yet. I did not witness any of it, however everyone else in the lease had deer running over them. I had planned to sit all day, but the wind beat me. I got down about 11:15, got some lunch and a nap, and went back in AT 3PM. Didn't see anything in the PM hunt.
Sunday 11-7,
Saw a small spike about 8:35am, and that was it. Week after this, I will be off all week. I sure hope the does will hold off until then. We'll see.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Saturday 11-13
Hit it pretty hard today. I saw two different spikes, and a lone doe, that acted spooky as all get it. I thought something may be behind her, but nothing showed. She fed nervously around me for 20 minutes then left. Then at 10:24 a small spike walked under. At 10:46 a cow horn Spike came strolling by. I didn't see anything on the afternoon hunt. I have all week off, so hopefully we'll get some meet in the freezer. I'm holding out for horns, but I may brake down and shhot a doe with the pistol. We'll play it by ear. One thing that did happen today that I found curious was I heard two turkeys gobble at sirens. I can only recall one other time that I have ever heard a turkey gobble in the fall.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Sunday 11-14
Great morning saw seven deer three bucks and four does. The bucks were on the prowl. They were all small. I saw another bobcat. That makes 5 this year. Prior to this year I had only seen three in the wild.
Monday 11-15
Perfect Day. It was raining pretty steady when I got to my lease this morning. I hunted ina sportsman condo stand, and didn't see anything. This is the first time I hunted in one of these, and I have to say, I am not imporessed. They keep you out of the elemnets alright, but the severely limit your field of view. I don't care what the conditions, form here on in are, I will not hunt in this again. I fear I wasted a great morning by being lazy and hunting in this thing, instead of going where I wanted to go.
This afternoon I hunted at my customers place. Dind't see anything. I am going with him tomorrow. It's a brown & down place, so I may break the ice if I get the oppurtunity, we'll just see what mood I am in.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
THE PLACE Member

Go ahead and kill ! Break the ice!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Go ahead and kill ! Break the ice!
Tuesday 11-16,

I did indeed break the ice today. I took a fat little spike with the 06. I went today pretty much ready to squeeze the trigger. This guy was just out of pistol range, so I pulled out old faithful, and she boomed. I have to admit after watching a ton of deer this year it was nice to sqeeze the trigger. I't's good to get some meat in the freezer. Tomorrow it's back to my lease, and back to the antler restrictions. In the morning I'm going to the same place I hunted saturday morning, then in the afternoon, I will head to a different spot I found, that knowone that I know of has hunted. We'll see what happens.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Tuesday 11-16,

I did indeed break the ice today. I took a fat little spike with the 06. I went today pretty much ready to squeeze the trigger. This guy was just out of pistol range, so I pulled out old faithful, and she boomed. I have to admit after watching a ton of deer this year it was nice to sqeeze the trigger. I't's good to get some meat in the freezer. Tomorrow it's back to my lease, and back to the antler restrictions. In the morning I'm going to the same place I hunted saturday morning, then in the afternoon, I will head to a different spot I found, that knowone that I know of has hunted. We'll see what happens.
Well heck yea! Now go drop a good one with the handgun!

Last edited by Quickdraw : 11-16-2010 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Quote:
Tuesday 11-16,

I must admit, there is something special about hearing a trusty 06 go BOOM!

Congrats on your deer!!
Old 11-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Ask our guide

Congrats on the sleek spiker
Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. It's been a fun year, and I ahve let a ton of eer walk due to rules on my new lease, it was awful nice to finally squeeze the trigger.
This morning was eventful. I saw three different bucks a big half racked buck, a small 8 pointer that is about ayear away, and a spike. I have pics of the half rack and the 8, that I will post with this. This afternoon was a disaster. I went to the new spot, and it was a nightmare getting into it. I had to walk through a portion of the cutover to get to it, and I was awful nosy going in. Not only was it nosy, but I was touching and rubbing against everything, leaving scent everywhere. My hands look like hamburger from the briairs. I didn't see anything, and I am not surprised, it was really bad getting in there. I think I did more harm than good. Tomorrow I will hunt the same stand I hunted this morning, then go to a real good harwood ridge whrere I can see forever and climb high as I can and see if I can catch a shooter buck crusing. Here are two pics of the bucks I saw this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam 3 loc on 10-16 013 (320 x 256).jpg (43.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg cam 3 loc on 11-5 007 (320 x 256).jpg (36.6 KB, 57 views)