The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Shooting > Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2016, 09:25 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Question 600 - 700 dollar AR's

Can you get or build a pretty decent AR these days in this range? Im getting the itch again and Im actually thinking about using a AR platform for what little deer hunting I do now. The last one I owned was a Rock River "entry tactical". Loved the rifle but believe it was right over a grand back then.

I would want a forward assist and dust cover.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 01-06-2016, 09:41 AM
THE PLACE Member

My buddy just got a Colt for a little over 800 at Cherokee Gun,but they were really pushing the PSA rifles about how great a value they are for the money.He almost bought the PSA,but couldn't pass up the sale on the Colt.

I don't know that much about them, I do own a Windham Weaponry AR, but I don't shoot it a lot.

I do think that now would be the time to buy one, I can't see the prices going much lower
Old 01-06-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixes View Post
My buddy just got a Colt for a little over 800 at Cherokee Gun,but they were really pushing the PSA rifles about how great a value they are for the money.He almost bought the PSA,but couldn't pass up the sale on the Colt.

I don't know that much about them, I do own a Windham Weaponry AR, but I don't shoot it a lot.

I do think that now would be the time to buy one, I can't see the prices going much lower
Do you happen to know which Colt? 6920? Thats a good price.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 01-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Antler Addict

I have not looked into parts recently...I would guess they are lower as AR prices have dropped off due to high volumes that got produced in front of the scares. I would think you can find a very good gun at a reasonable price across the web. Some of those builds on GunBroker had my eye a few years back. Some sweet rifles at great prices. Just need somewhere to take delivery. There are so many aspects to the AR platform I wouldn't care in the least to buy one with a big name brand stamped on it. Not necessary.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:11 AM
THE PLACE Member

Building two now for less then that. After yesterday costs may go up some but will settle back down. Go to Surplus ammo and Classic firearms and Sota arms. Palmetto has deals also.

Last edited by stumpman : 01-06-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:16 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
Building two now for less then that. After yesterday costs may go up some but will settle back down.
Yeh, you can build them for pretty cheap.

Do you remember Jack Sowell? (Strycnine)? He builds them for about that price....if not cheaper......the last one I had he built.......great shooting gun!
Old 01-06-2016, 10:51 AM

I have never built an AR and dont have a clue what all it takes as far as parts and labor goes. I can tear apart and fix Paslode nailguns about blindfolded so I figure it cant be too hard.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
I have never built an AR and dont have a clue what all it takes as far as parts and labor goes. I can tear apart and fix Paslode nailguns about blindfolded so I figure it cant be too hard.
Every bit of info you would need you can find online. I built mine and the entire AR platform was foreign to me. You can find how-to charts and parts lists all across the internet. A punch set and a barrel wrench are the only tools you would need. The trickiest for me was putting the lower parts kit in. Very doable though.

I did mine that way because I knew the features I wanted...I did not want to buy a built gun to then discard parts to add what I wanted.

Find yourself a lower and start from there. It has to go through the FFL. After that you can do as you wish. As long as it isn't a pistol build.

It was a lot of fun to build. If you have the time you may really enjoy doing it yourself.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:35 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Do you happen to know which Colt? 6920? Thats a good price.
I can find out today at work.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:45 AM
THE PLACE Member

I've never thought of building one, I guess if you built one, then there would be no warranty?
Old 01-06-2016, 11:46 AM
THE PLACE Member

I've built and bought, if I were going to war or knew my life depended on it I might buy a higher end factory gun known for milspec or exceeding milspec work. BCM, LMT, Colt, Daniel Defense, etc. If it were for hunting and fun I'd think about what I needed and build it or buy as close to what I wanted in the budget. I hate to not recommend top quality but you don't need it for plinking and hunting.

I hear the mid-level stuff is selling or sold at many local places but I haven't kept up. I sold a NIB bushmaster for $750 the other day, this was the Magpul version. I have one more if you want it but a Colt 6920 for $800 is a better gun.

Lube it good whatever you get, this is a great article by an expert: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B20V...2&pref=2&pli=1
Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 AM
iHonk

Id say build one. Ive got my third at Section 8 Armory now getting some machine work and cerakote done. You can build a decent AR for around 800 but Ive got way over 1K in all three of my builds ( using high quality BCM parts) including optics and extras. The sky is the limit with AR's. Id start with PSA and go from there.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:49 PM
THE PLACE Member

Ryan they are easy to build two punches a hammer, armorers wrench, vise, block to hold the upper in the vise solid and a torque wrench is about all you need. You tube has everything you need to know to build one.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:17 AM
THE PLACE Member

$543 in this one...built the lower, bought the upper. Has forward assist and dust cover. I didn't go with the cheapest parts either, just waited on sales.

My dad just assembled a complete PSA rifle for $350, no FA or DC. He got lucky and they basically gave him a BCG and charging handle for free though!