The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > The Sports Page
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Antler Addict

Bunting is gonna be called from the dugout, not decided by the batter. So this garbage about they don't do it because the scouts and chiks don't like it is just that, garbage. There are tons of players out there, long ball hitters too, that have laid down a bunt. They just aren't asked to very often by their coach because they are gonna be the best hitters on the team, and unless its a late game, deciding moment, they probably wouldn't be called on to do it.

Success at the plate bunting for me is simple, get the ball in play, without popping up, and advance the runner. Now the pitcher knows you are gonna be bunting in alot of situations. And we know alot of the pitchers out there, not only know how to get you out, but they are pitching to make you hit the ball where THEY want it to go. And on average, and I bet this number is high, a MLB batter is gonna bat .250. Thats safely on base in 1 of 4 at bats. You are completely not giving the pitchers their credit here. If they can stop a batter 75% of the time from reachig base...which is his job, why should a batter now be more successful facing the same pitcher in a KNOWN situation? I just don't get the thinking.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
My opinion is that the reason most of the pros suck at bunting is because they never do it. It's not glamorous to bunt so most people hate to do it and that goes for everyone all the way from little league to the pros. They make their money by hitting home runs so that's what they practice. Maybe if the crowd went crazy when a guy laid down a perfect bunt like they do for a double or triple, then players would want to do it more. I doubt that'll ever happen though so they will continue to suck at bunting.

What ever happened to the days of doing what your coach told you to do?

I had coaches that told us to bunt 2 pitches down the first base line and 2 pitches down the 3rd base line at the beginning of every batting practice session then swing away for 10 (or however many they decided after that).

Then in the game it wasn't my choice of whether to bunt or not. If they gave me the bunt sign and I didn't square around, they would call time and talk to you to make sure you saw the sign....then if you "missed the next sign" you found yourself on the bench to help you remember the signs and who was in charge.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 PM
richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThunter View Post
Bunting is gonna be called from the dugout, not decided by the batter. So this garbage about they don't do it because the scouts and chiks don't like it is just that, garbage. There are tons of players out there, long ball hitters too, that have laid down a bunt. They just aren't asked to very often by their coach because they are gonna be the best hitters on the team, and unless its a late game, deciding moment, they probably wouldn't be called on to do it.

Success at the plate bunting for me is simple, get the ball in play, without popping up, and advance the runner. Now the pitcher knows you are gonna be bunting in alot of situations. And we know alot of the pitchers out there, not only know how to get you out, but they are pitching to make you hit the ball where THEY want it to go. And on average, and I bet this number is high, a MLB batter is gonna bat .250. Thats safely on base in 1 of 4 at bats. You are completely not giving the pitchers their credit here. If they can stop a batter 75% of the time from reachig base...which is his job, why should a batter now be more successful facing the same pitcher in a KNOWN situation? I just don't get the thinking.
you're out to lunch on this subject..but that's my 40 years of playing & coaching ball opinion
Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM
Antler Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by craniums View Post
you're out to lunch on this subject..but that's my 40 years of playing & coaching ball opinion
I grew up playing ball too. And i get it, hell my first post in this thread was in agreeance that the fundamentals of bunting a baseball had been lost in the MLB. But for the sake of arguement, I can see how a pitcher, especially one in the pros, one who has the ability to make a hitter hit how he wants him to hit, can change the results that a batter is looking for. I mean they get paid millions JUST LIKE A BATTER does, to keep them from doing what they want.

How many years have you coached pro ball?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
THE PLACE Member

bunting is easy...................but no one wants to do it because they want to swing! So they dont concentrate which leads to bunts too hard back to the pitcher or pop ups. By the way, I hated when the coach gave me the bunt signal! lol
Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 PM
freakin' idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
bunting is easy...................but no one wants to do it because they want to swing! So they dont concentrate which leads to bunts too hard back to the pitcher or pop ups. By the way, I hated when the coach gave me the bunt signal! lol
Which is why I like coaching girls....

Every one of my girls will lay down a seed in a heartbeat and take pride in doing her job. Girls seem to have a better grasp on the team concept IMO.

Back to the subject at hand....Maybe we are seeing a byproduct of the steroid era, where small ball was pushed to the side by the almighty dinger. Time to get back to fundamentals.