The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > The Sports Page
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2010, 10:19 PM
Boomer Sooner

Default Bunting a Baseball

Is it just me or has anyone noticed this. Why is bunting a baseball so hard to do for a major league player? And I am not talking just a pitcher. I'm talking about position players as well.

It is very simple to do. Square up in the batters box and CATCH the ball with the bat. I see sooo many players trying "stab" at it or try to "direct" the ball. Maybe it's just me, but that bugs the crap out of me, to see these guys try and bunt a ball and just plain don't get the job done.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:29 PM
The dude abides

Yup. It's like watching a basketball player who can do all kinds of tricks, but shoots 60% from the line.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:35 PM
freakin' idiot

Easier said that done....

Ever tried to "catch" a 92 mph fastball with a bat? Better yet, a nasty splitter or curve?

Just messing with you, Dennis! The fundamentals are often taken for granted, for sure.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Well???

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadoff View Post

Ever tried to "catch" a 92 mph fastball with a bat? Better yet, a nasty splitter or curve?

Just messing with you, Dennis! The fundamentals are often taken for granted, for sure.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 PM
THE PLACE Member

I'm not even going to get in a batter's box with anything coming at me 92 mph.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
freakin' idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH View Post
I'm not even going to get in a batter's box with anything coming at me 92 mph.
Been tagged square in the back with a 92 mph fastball playing legion ball...thank God for "take" drills. Knocked the breath out of me. I only know it was 92 mph because the scout in the stands with the radar gun told my dad (who was in the stands at the time) when it happened.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:07 PM
THE PLACE Member

Who do you play for leadoff?
Old 07-21-2010, 11:27 PM
freakin' idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Cruiser View Post
Who do you play for leadoff?
Been years since I played ball...just a has-been coach now.

Played high school at a small rural school in middle GA, American Legion ball with Post 3 out of Macon and played college ball at Mercer for a couple of years before burning out. Played in a wood bat league in Athens a few years back....Colt 45s first year and SugarKings the next.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM
The other side

I grew up playing ball with my dads partners son Mike Lamb who played for UT.....just seeing the ball can be a problem when it's coming in at 90+ and those guys can move that thing....Mike hit me more times than I can count but the worst was when I was catching him one day before his college try outs and I misjudged his splitter....it caught the point of my chin and I thought he knocked my face off.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:38 AM
THE PLACE Member

Most pitches thrown by a MLB pitcher have a ton of movement and when its coming anywhere from 85 MPH to 100MPH, it wouldn't be easy to put a 3 inch piece of wood in its way.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Antler Addict

Its simple, they don't get to practice bunting like they should. Too interested in the personal aspect of the game than the team aspect. As stated above, its just a lack of fundamentals, the basic ones anyways. Not that the MLB players don't have a great foundation of fundamentals, but knowing where to be on a play and proper technique for certain situations are more assumed to be known than they are practiced. But there is something to the 90+ mph dipping/zigging/zagging ball thrown from a ML pitcher.

Thats why i love college ball. There is rarely any "I" aspect of the game. And I have seen the 3 or 4 hole hitter square around to bunt to advance runners over!!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadoff View Post

i gotta agree with this.

apparently we got a few folks on here that missed their calling
Old 07-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
i gotta agree with this.

apparently we got a few folks on here that missed their calling

But it does drive me nuts to see a professional baseball player that has no idea how to hold the bat to bunt and is stabbing at the ball.

The bat has to give to deaden the ball and your fingers should not be wrapped around the bat (unless you want them broken).

Hold the bat between your thumb and index finger (on top and bottom) and let the ball come to the bat.... Do NOT punch at the ball.

Hold the bat at an angle with the barrel higher than the handle and only move up and down by to get to the pitch.

Pull or push the handle to guide the ball to the third or first base line.

If the ball is not where you can make contact pull the barrel back and let the ball pass, unless it is a squeeze and then you just make contact however possible.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:31 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
But it does drive me nuts to see a professional baseball player that has no idea how to hold the bat to bunt and is stabbing at the ball.

The bat has to give to deaden the ball and your fingers should not be wrapped around the bat (unless you want them broken).

Hold the bat between your thumb and index finger (on top and bottom) and let the ball come to the bat.... Do NOT punch at the ball.

Hold the bat at an angle with the barrel higher than the handle and only move up and down by to get to the pitch.

Pull or push the handle to guide the ball to the third or first base line.

If the ball is not where you can make contact pull the barrel back and let the ball pass, unless it is a squeeze and then you just make contact however possible.
keep in mind that stabbing might be an adjustment because the pitches move a bit more than they did when most of us retired in little league
Old 07-22-2010, 09:37 AM
The dude abides

Lol....nobody is saying its easy to bunt a 92 mph fastball. But if you can reasonably be expected to hit proficiently in the majors (which, if you're there, that is the case), I don't think its unreasonable to expect someone to also be able to bunt at a proficient and fundamentally correct level.

That's all Big D is saying.....and I agree. And I hit .375 my senior year so I'm obviously qualified to discuss such matters.