The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Shooting > Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Dawn2Dusk

Default Rimfire accuracy... what do you have?

What's your most accurate rimfire?

Mine, without a single doubt, is my Marlin 17 HMR... The thing just shoots like MAD!

I've got it sighted in 1" high at "100 Yards"; yes - 100 yards. Here's a "5" shot group. I know, there's only 4 holes, but I fired 5 times.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Dawn2Dusk

Here's another group I fired with it on another day... Pen tip for size reference:

Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
THE PLACE Member

17HMR here also.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Dawn2Dusk

I love mine for squirrel hunting; head shots only. I can sit off on the top side of a ridge and pick off a "grey" from a country mile.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk View Post
I love mine for squirrel hunting; head shots only. I can sit off on the top side of a ridge and pick off a "grey" from a country mile.
Have you tried the new 20GR ammo yet? I just ordered 3 boxes of it , Haven't shot any yet. I also have a 10-22 I built that shoots as good of groups as the 17 but not at 100 yrds. I built it with a regular tapered barrel and hogue stock like the one I posted with the Bull barrel. Believe it or not the Bull barrel doesn't hold as tight or groups as the other does. same brand of stock and barrels.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:59 PM
On the road to nowhere

Haven't really checked our .22lr rifles yet. Well...we did Ian's lil Rossi combo and its a tack driver at 35yds! Hoping to get some good groups out of the .22mags once we get to shoot em
Old 01-24-2008, 04:09 PM
I approve this message!

Haven't jumped into the .17 realm yet, but planning to. As for my .22, hard to beat CZ accuracy for the price. Here's my best 50yard group, 10 ring is just under the size of a dime.

Nick T
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0319071902.jpg (22.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 01-24-2008, 04:13 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_T View Post
Haven't jumped into the .17 realm yet, but planning to. As for my .22, hard to beat CZ accuracy for the price. Here's my best 50yard group, 10 ring is just under the size of a dime.

Nick T
Not bad.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:15 PM
On the road to nowhere

Dang yall, thats some good shootin!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:24 PM
I approve this message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
Not bad.
Sure looking forward to the day I can get a CZ Special in HMR. Last year there were few nuts on the trees, squirrels stayed on the ground and long shots were the rule. This year, allot of nuts and they stayed in the limbs, so ya could sneak up on them pretty easily when the leafs were still on, no need to make long shots, and the .22 was just fine. I suspect with the heavy crop this past year that pecans are going to be few and far between this coming fall, so I best get things line up and find me a long range rimfire.

Nick T
Old 01-24-2008, 04:28 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_T View Post
Sure looking forward to the day I can get a CZ Special in HMR. Last year there were few nuts on the trees, squirrels stayed on the ground and long shots were the rule. This year, allot of nuts and they stayed in the limbs, so ya could sneak up on them pretty easily when the leafs were still on, no need to make long shots, and the .22 was just fine. I suspect with the heavy crop this past year that pecans are going to be few and far between this coming fall, so I best get things line up and find me a long range rimfire.

Nick T
If all goes right me and the boys are going to take the tent(depends on then weather)and go squirrel hunting Sat and sunday in a WMA about an hour from the house it has some nice big oaks that were full of nuts during deer season. I'll have my 10-22 my oldest wants to take the 17 my lil one has a savage bolt 22 it's ok but he wants a better one I think if I get a new trigger like my 17 has and a better scope he will be happier.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Right now it's a Ruger 10/22.

But if I were to put a quality scope on my Marlin Golden 39A, I bet it would take the cake easily.

BuckyT
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
I approve this message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
If all goes right me and the boys are going to take the tent(depends on then weather)and go squirrel hunting Sat and sunday in a WMA about an hour from the house it has some nice big oaks that were full of nuts during deer season. I'll have my 10-22 my oldest wants to take the 17 my lil one has a savage bolt 22 it's ok but he wants a better one I think if I get a new trigger like my 17 has and a better scope he will be happier.
If he is dead set on a new one, I'd recommend the CZ Scout. The stock is just a tad shorter than the full sized guns but still comfortable for me to shoot. The action is the same as the adult models, and is available in .22, HRM, and Mach2, but has a shorter barrel. Really nice gun for the money, and can use it well into his teen years.

Hope ya'll have some luck this weekend! Got some things planned Sat, might take the kid shooting or hunting Sunday. My Special is still out of service, guess I shoulda waited 'til after the season to start this project, or I might take tomorrow morning off and sneak out there after I drop him off at school and use his Scout. Take some pics, been awhile since I've seen some squack heads vented.

Nick T
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Wall Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
Right now it's a Ruger 10/22.

But if I were to put a quality scope on my Marlin Golden 39A, I bet it would take the cake easily.

BuckyT
I`ve got a 39A. Those things are hard to beat.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
I`ve got a 39A. Those things are hard to beat.
Absolutely the funnest gun I own to plink with!!

It's like new so I hardly take it out and shoot, but it sure is fun!!

BuckyT