The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Political Debate and Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Originally Posted by howl View Post
This race was always likely to end up in a run-off. The fact that either of those two could be governor is the direct product of a corrupt two-party system.

Run-offs are crap. If you can't win an election clean, then you aren't good enough for the job. We should get to vote on a new slate instead of these rejects.

The problem is, after every vote is counted, it does NOT mean runoff or recount. That ignorant bitch wont concede and wants to tie it up in court. Period. Why do you hate Brian Kemp? Why is he a reject.

Forget third party BS. That is never gonna happen.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,

Last edited by Gimp : 11-12-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:59 AM
THE PLACE Member

Explain why this doesn't go to a run-off. I looked, but I didn't see why it doesn't. By the numbers, that is what was and is going to happen if one of them doesn't concede.

I don't hate anybody. He's just another corrupt businessman the GA GOP cued up to make us vote for. That is why he was SoS. It is a feeder position for who they will make us accept. He does not represent me, nor the majority of Georgians. He represents the GOP elite. There is no point in voting for their candidate if we want a governor for us. Things keep getting worse because people like us support it by voting for their candidates.

The third party thing could happen if people, among other things, would stop thinking it won't happen. When a major party faces long odds in an election they don't go around saying it won't happen. All you gotta do is vote and tell everyone else you did. This election was a great opportunity seeing as how it was going to run-off anyway.

If the answer isn't third parties, then we need to figure out something else. Voting D vs R isn't working in our favor.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Quote:
Explain why this doesn't go to a run-off. .

Days after the November 6th election, Governor-elect Brian Kemp still maintains a strong lead over Stacey Abrams. Even though it is mathematically impossible for Abrams to force a runoff or win, her campaign refuses to concede.

"Stacey Abrams' antics are a disgrace to democracy and completely ignore the will of the people," said Ryan Mahoney, Communications Director. "This is not how America works. Brian Kemp earned a clear victory on Tuesday night and holds a sizable lead as remaining provisional and military ballots are counted.

"Clearly, Stacey Abrams isn't ready for her 15 minutes of fame to end so she's manufacturing numbers to trick reporters and confuse hardworking Georgians. It is mathematically impossible for Stacey Abrams to win, force a run-off, or trigger a recount. Georgia voters have spoken. It's time for Abrams to listen and concede immediately."

As of Saturday, November 10, 2018 (12:00PM)
*Information below is public
Total Votes Reported: 3,924,658
Kemp: 1,975,162 (50.33%)
Abrams: 1,912,383 (48.73%)
Metz: 37,113 (.95%)
Kemp Margin: +62,779 votes
Counties Certified: 89
Counties Remaining to Certify: 70
Counties Reporting Total Provisional Results: 118
Original Provisional Ballots in those 118 Counties: 4,472
Total Provisional Ballots Accepted in those 118 Counties: 2,138
Percentage of Provisional Ballots Deemed Ineligible by County Officials Thus Far: 52%
In the counties that have reported official provisional numbers on the Secretary of State’s website thus far, Abrams only has a net ninety-vote margin on Brian Kemp.
Counties Not Yet Reporting Provisional Ballot Results: 41
*Even with these counties not yet reporting final provisional results, several have already reported ineligible ballot numbers. For example: Fulton County (1,556 of 3,722), DeKalb County (646 of 3,000), Chatham County (140 of 329), and Henry County (172 of 339)
Maximum Number of eligible provisional ballots outstanding in those 41 counties — 14,204
Maximum Possible Remaining Outstanding Military Absentee Ballots in Counties Not Yet Certified — 3,291
Total possible ballots remaining (all eligible provisional ballots + all possible military ballots) — 17,495
*Military ballots must have been received by 5PM on Friday, November 9. They are included in certified count from their respective county.
If all 17,495 possible votes were verified and accepted, and were cast for Stacey Abrams these would be the final results:
Kemp: 50.10% — 1,975,162 (current total)
Abrams: 48.95% — 1,929,878 (adding all 17,495 possible outstanding ballots)
Metz: .95% - 37,113
Total: 3,942,153
Kemp Margin: +45,284
So even if Abrams received every possible outstanding ballot there would be no runoff and no recount. This election is over. Brian Kemp is Governor-Elect of Georgia.
**All numbers provided are available to the general public and reported by the counties.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,
Old 11-12-2018, 01:09 PM
THE PLACE Member

Ah. I had it at 51% to win. Maybe because that's all Deal got. Doesn't matter, I had it wrong.

We need an amendment to set a higher standard so we're not stuck with this junk every time.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:32 AM
THE PLACE Member

I've said it a million times and I'll say it again. Believing in a third party is naive and a complete waste. You pick the lesser of the 2 evils and move on with your life knowing you did something. A "change" is never going to happen.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:06 PM
THE PLACE Member

Unless you actually are one of those who actually attend black-tie fundraisers, picking the lesser of two is worse than nothing. First, your vote doesn't count because the elected do not represent you. Second, it supports those who steal your vote by forcing you to vote for their candidate.

You might as well not vote for all the good it does you. Voting lesser of two makes you responsible for the overgrowth of government and decline of freedom. It is the same as building your own cage.

I'll agree that voting third party is leading down a path people are unlikely to follow, but it is at least trying to do something.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:35 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Unless you actually are one of those who actually attend black-tie fundraisers, picking the lesser of two is worse than nothing. First, your vote doesn't count because the elected do not represent you. Second, it supports those who steal your vote by forcing you to vote for their candidate.

You might as well not vote for all the good it does you. Voting lesser of two makes you responsible for the overgrowth of government and decline of freedom. It is the same as building your own cage.

I'll agree that voting third party is leading down a path people are unlikely to follow, but it is at least trying to do something.
Politely disagree. Voting 3rd party, to me, is like putting money on UCF to win the CFP. Doesn't matter how big a UCF fan you are, they're simply not going to be there. Hence, you wasted your money just to prove that your are, in fact, a huge UCF fan.

As far as not voting goes, I'll use gun control as my example. I, Todd Woody, am a Republican and extremely right wing minded. Being said; Do I believe that any Tom, Dick or Harry should be able to get heir hands on semi automatic assault rifles with high capacity magazines and bump stocks? Absolutely not. Do I value my firearms and my right to own them enough to vote in a manner that may let said weapons get into the hands of people that shouldn't have them? 100% It's sad that it has to be that way but there is no middle ground. Giving them bump stocks isn't enough. Then they want 30 round magazines. Then 15 round magazines. Then semi auto guns in general. Then bolt actions. Greed. All or none. My way or the highway. On BOTH sides too. Republicans are the same kind of greedy. It's just a matter of where YOU stand with YOUR beliefs. You vote to keep things as close to where you want them as possible. (Kind of like me pulling for UGA in the SEC because I don't want Clemson to have to play Alabama )

As far as overgrowth of government goes, you HAVE to vote to control this. How would NOT voting help? The problem is, most folks go to the polls with a straight Republican ticket or a straight Democratic ticket in mind and then freak out when there are amendments at the end. They read them the best they can and make a choice on the fly so they don't take too long and look like a dumb ass to the person behind them when they should have done is:
Educate yourself to what's on the ballot, make a choice you are confident in, execute (vote) and feel good about your choice. That's all we can do. Again, unfortunate how divided we are but IMO, there will never be a middle ground or 3rd party. Damn shame.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

I do believe both parties are corrupt. But... common sense tells me throwing a vote to a libertarian in present day America is the equivalent of me taking a shit, taking my “I’m a Georgia voter” sticker, dropping it in the toilet, and flushing it..
Old 11-14-2018, 08:49 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
I do believe both parties are corrupt. But... common sense tells me throwing a vote to a libertarian in present day America is the equivalent of me taking a shit, taking my “I’m a Georgia voter” sticker, dropping it in the toilet, and flushing it..