The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Shooting The Bull
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2018, 07:47 AM
THE PLACE Member

Default Harley?

Anyone here ride a Harley? I get the itch every year about this time to get one. I grew up around them, Dad always had one and still does, but it's been parked for a while. We actually built his bike from a pile of parts when I was about 10. I'm turning 30 this year and have wanted one since I was a kid.

I like the new Street Glides and have always liked the Road Kings... I'd probably start out on something like Sportster Forty-Eight though if I got one.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:05 AM
THE PLACE Member

Nope......never had one.

Don't want or need one.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:12 AM
Pintail is my best good chum

Ive been around Harleys since I was just a kid. Rode a Wide Glide starting at 18 up until I got hurt at 24.

First I would say, F*** a Sporster. If you are gonna do it, do it right. You will never be happy with a Sportster. Get the Street Glide. Road Kings are sweet too. Youre a big ol boy. You can handle one. If you want something smaller to start out on to get use to, find a used cheap jap bike that you can easily get rid of. Sporters ride like shit and built for women

Secondly, buy used. You will save tons of money. I would try to find one around the 2005 - 2010 era with low miles. They are out there.

I love motorcycles and would love to have a new HD freewheeler trike all decked out for me but there are simply too many dumbasses in cars these days. Riding today would scare the shit out of me.
"I've been working here for 44 years. Ain't nobody ever ordered nothing but a T-Bone steak and baked potato. Except one time, this @sshole from New York ordered a trout, back in 1987. We ain't got no g**d*mned trout".,

Last edited by Gimp : 05-21-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:14 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncy View Post
Nope......never had one.

Don't want or need one.

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 05-21-2018, 09:19 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimp View Post
Ive been around Harleys since I was just a kid. Rode a Wide Glide starting at 18 up until I got hurt at 24.

First I would say, F*** a Sporster. If you are gonna do it, do it right. You will never be happy with a Sportster. Get the Street Glide. Road Kings are sweet too. Youre a big ol boy. You can handle one. If you want something smaller to start out on to get use to, find a used cheap jap bike that you can easily get rid of. Sporters ride like shit and built for women

Secondly, buy used. You will save tons of money. I would try to find one around the 2005 - 2010 era with low miles. They are out there.

I love motorcycles and would love to have a new HD freewheeler trike all decked out for me but there are simply too many dumbasses in cars these days. Riding today would scare the shit out of me.
Honestly, this is what has kept me from riding all these years. The difference now is that I live on an island. Most of my riding would be around town for a while. I grew up on Sportsters. I like the look of them, but yes they're a harsher ride. Two up riding probably wouldn't happen for a long while. There's deals on some older bikes for sure, but I just didn't want to go too big from the start.

I'm at the point that I just would like to have another hot rod or a Harley. I have a boat sitting in the garage that never gets used because I'm limited on free time between work and family. I'd be better off hiring captains for as few times as I get to go out. A fun toy vehicle is something that could potentially get used more often, not just on Sat when the weather is perfect and no wind...
Old 05-21-2018, 09:55 PM
Cheese

I drove a motorcycle once and liked it a lot but knew it would probably get me killed so I decided against buying one.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:55 PM
hummyfried

Death Trap
Old 05-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Honestly, this is what has kept me from riding all these years. The difference now is that I live on an island. Most of my riding would be around town for a while. I grew up on Sportsters. I like the look of them, but yes they're a harsher ride. Two up riding probably wouldn't happen for a long while. There's deals on some older bikes for sure, but I just didn't want to go too big from the start.

I'm at the point that I just would like to have another hot rod or a Harley. I have a boat sitting in the garage that never gets used because I'm limited on free time between work and family. I'd be better off hiring captains for as few times as I get to go out. A fun toy vehicle is something that could potentially get used more often, not just on Sat when the weather is perfect and no wind...
You should get a jeep
Old 05-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Mean muggin

Think about if you were on that Harley and timber Cruiser was behind you...... You'd make a nice flat spot
Old 05-22-2018, 10:55 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
Think about if you were on that Harley and timber Cruiser was behind you...... You'd make a nice flat spot
Two kids my youngest daughter's age have died in the past year in motorcycle accidents, and a 64 year old was killed in April, sll in Forsyth County near my house (prob others I haven't heard about too).

I know the island sounds like a safer place, but the traffic I have seen around the beach locations is crazy with motorists not being familiar with the area, or having been drinking at the beach. I wouldn't want to take that chance.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:31 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
I used to feel bad for bikers but here lately, they are all starting to act like real jackasses. Whites and blacks. Traffic sucks but EVERYONE should have to deal with it. I see just as many white guys on Harleys riding in between lanes, on the shoulder, whipping in at the last minute, etc as I do jigs on crotch rockets. I love to ride but it's getting a bad name real quick IMO. I've lost respect for them anyway.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:14 AM
THE PLACE Member

Leave it to my five year old to be the voice of reason... I asked him if I should get a Harley. His response, "But how will I ride with you Daddy?"

His vote is clearly in the hot rod/Jeep corner. One day I'll do the bike thing, but for now it looks like I'll look at another toy. I may still try to find a cheap dual sport to ride around the island though.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:53 AM
Dammit Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
You should get a jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssramage View Post
Leave it to my five year old to be the voice of reason... I asked him if I should get a Harley. His response, "But how will I ride with you Daddy?"

His vote is clearly in the hot rod/Jeep corner. One day I'll do the bike thing, but for now it looks like I'll look at another toy. I may still try to find a cheap dual sport to ride around the island though.
Either I am right on par with a five year old, or he is on par with a 51 year old.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:15 PM
iHonk

You’ll put your eye out.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:14 PM
THE PLACE Member

A pinpal sighting!!