The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > General > Political Debate and Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2011, 09:00 PM
freakin' idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
So the doctors that bring us into the world and save our lives should get breaks also right?
No....just the teachers who taught them that the leg bone's connected to the knee bone. Actually, there are loan forgiveness programs for health professionals who work in rural and under-served areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
Who said she got anything FREE? I said she knew what was involved in the job before she decided to go that route.
Actually, the teacher retention rate would suggest that a large number of would-be teachers do NOT know what they are getting into....considering that 50% of new teachers leave within the first 5 years. Below is a quote from a 2009 AJC article...notice the amount money Georgia spends to replace these teachers. Seems a teacher loan forgiveness program (which is a PARTIAL forgiveness at best, as I pointed out earlier in the thread) is much more cost-effective for us tax payers.

"About half of all teachers leave the profession within five years, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

The state spends more than $400 million a year replacing them, according to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission."

http://blogs.ajc.com/get-schooled-bl...eachers-leave/
Old 10-29-2011, 07:26 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadoff View Post
No....just the teachers who taught them that the leg bone's connected to the knee bone. Actually, there are loan forgiveness programs for health professionals who work in rural and under-served areas.

Actually, the teacher retention rate would suggest that a large number of would-be teachers do NOT know what they are getting into....considering that 50% of new teachers leave within the first 5 years. Below is a quote from a 2009 AJC article...notice the amount money Georgia spends to replace these teachers. Seems a teacher loan forgiveness program (which is a PARTIAL forgiveness at best, as I pointed out earlier in the thread) is much more cost-effective for us tax payers.

"About half of all teachers leave the profession within five years, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

The state spends more than $400 million a year replacing them, according to the Georgia Professional Standards Commission."

That's. Really not very useful information without knowing the percentage of folks who went to school and within 5 years are working in another field. Seems I know a load of folks that do that...so its possible teachers are just like everyone else...some get a job in their field...find out its not for them....move on?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:43 AM
freakin' idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
That's. Really not very useful information without knowing the percentage of folks who went to school and within 5 years are working in another field. Seems I know a load of folks that do that...so its possible teachers are just like everyone else...some get a job in their field...find out its not for them....move on?
I would probably assume the number is very close. I'm sure that a great majority of people DON'T know exactly what they're getting into when they choose their professional career path early in their educational career. I was mainly trying to prove that point to stumpy.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:44 AM
THE PLACE Member

why are y'all being so mean to leadoff?
Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
why are y'all being so mean to leadoff?
Im not...im just sayin that if 45% of college grads are not working in their field, the 50% rate for teachers wouldn't be that significant.....Leadoff is my bubz...I heart him....even when he's wrong
Old 10-29-2011, 07:47 AM
THE PLACE Member

he's never wrong. Now apologize.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator View Post
he's never wrong. Now apologize.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:23 AM
freakin' idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBoy View Post
Im not...im just sayin that if 45% of college grads are not working in their field, the 50% rate for teachers wouldn't be that significant.....Leadoff is my bubz...I heart him....even when he's wrong
I heart you , too, bubs....even when you think I am wrong when I am actually right.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:

My daughter in law was going to school to be a teacher. It's bad down here as well she changed to another profession before she even started teaching.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:35 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
I heart you , too, bubs....even when you think I am wrong when I am actually right.
I will remember that when it actually happens
Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
HNIC

Quote:

Very skewed info. It doesn't take into account those still teaching, but moved from public to private, or into another role in the education field. Does it count part time teachers? Paraprofessionals?

The AJC is about as good as GON for credible info FYI.

Red
Red
Old 10-29-2011, 05:11 PM
freakin' idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Red View Post
Very skewed info. It doesn't take into account those still teaching, but moved from public to private, or into another role in the education field. Does it count part time teachers? Paraprofessionals?

The AJC is about as good as GON for credible info FYI.

Red
Red
Since you asked....from a fiscal standpoint:

Quote:
A conservative national estimate of the cost of replacing public school teachers who have dropped out of the profession is $2.2 billion a year. If the cost of replacing public school teachers who transfer schools is added, the total reaches $4.9 billion every year.
There is also a breakdown per state, based on US Dept of Ed numbers and UPenn research.
Reference: http://www.all4ed.org/files/archive/...rAttrition.pdf
Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 AM
HNIC

Quote:
Since you asked....from a fiscal standpoint:

There is also a breakdown per state, based on US Dept of Ed numbers and UPenn research.
Reference: http://www.all4ed.org/files/archive/...rAttrition.pdf
Since my wife is in this boat, I feel like I can speak intellegently on it. Teachers are leaving the public school system because they aren't allowed to teach. They have to teach to a test(the CRCT) and have to focus more on the lower children so they pass the test in a regular classroom setting. Due to some reason, test anxiety, learning disabilities, etc. these kids don't do well, but are judged the same as other kids. This ultimately hurts the higher kids. This is that whole 'No Child Left Behind" BS. Not every child is meant to be a business man or engineer. It's just that simple. Concentrating the majority of the efforts on a few at the expense of the rest of class is not right. Also, some parts of the counties that have higher hispanic populations are lumped in with the rest. These kids list English as a second language, but have to take the test in English and you can imagine how well they do. Whether these kids should even be allowed to go to public school is a topic for a whole nother thread.

The teaching profession is made up mostly of women. Some of the other contributing factors could be wanting to start a family, moving to private schools where they can actually do what they went to school for, moving into another role such as admin, or something else.

If you want a place to point a finger start with the State BOE which doesn't know it's ass from a whole in the ground. As soon as she can, my wife will be leaving as well. Ironically, it could be around the 5 year mark.

Red

Last edited by Ol' Red : 10-31-2011 at 11:03 AM.