The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Hunters Journal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Merle

Default What a hunt...

Went to the woods after school today with dad and parked the truck about 4:50 and was headed to the stand. He stayed at the camp house with another member, anyways Get a call from dad half way to the stand, and he asks if I'm in the stand yet so I reply no and he says get there, a big 8 is running down the pond dam and he's headed your way! So I book it to the stand, get up and get settled... ( I'm at the north end of the pond and can see the pond, and the road going down for a little ways)

About 5 minutes pass and I'm starting to think they're pulling my leg, so I'm texting my buddy who was hunting near some power lines bout a mile away, when I hear splashing in the pond, I look up but can't see anything due to high brush and a pine limb.

I watch and it's him!! The big 8 had swam across the pond diagonally towards me and he bout got to the bank when he made a B-line for the other side. Where he proceeded to go down the road I hunted opening evening. He was about 30 yds away when I first saw him but still in the water so I didn't shoot.

This buck was big and his antlers weren't wide but boy was he tall!
So I watch him swim and the whole time you can hear him breathing... Come to find out a mans two dogs got loose and were trailing him. And he went for a swim so they would loose his scent. But I sat the rest of the evening and didn't see any more deer... The squirrels were playing a very dangerous game though, my trigger finger was itching like it was in a whool glove filled with fiber glass and chiggers

But man just to think if he would have took a little break on the bank or came in 10 yds to eat corn man oh man! It was an awesome expiernce for sure...
Old 09-23-2014, 05:54 AM
I'd rather be hunting

Maybe you will get him next time
Old 09-23-2014, 06:17 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

yeah, that would get the blood pumping!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 AM
THE PLACE Member

Good hunt beaner. I used to complain about dogs in the deer woods, until I figured out they can help out
Old 09-23-2014, 07:03 AM
Dammit Bobby

Good luck Lil Bean
Old 09-23-2014, 07:26 AM
Merle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff View Post
Good hunt beaner. I used to complain about dogs in the deer woods, until I figured out they can help out
Yea, a blessing and a burden for sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Farr View Post
Maybe you will get him next time
I hope so
Old 09-23-2014, 01:04 PM
THE PLACE Member

I've killed several over the years that dogs had a hand in helping out . Had them ruin a few as well. LoL
Old 09-23-2014, 08:53 PM
Merle

Sat again tonight but didn't see any... Dad is gonna try to sit Thursday morning and I Will get back at it on Saturday though
Old 09-24-2014, 06:46 AM
Mean muggin

Wool glove filled with fiber glass and chugged he says. Sounds like a Farr tale. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:24 AM
Merle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb View Post
Wool glove filled with fiber glass and chugged he says. Sounds like a Farr tale. Good luck.
Lol
Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Hope you get him lil Bean!
Old 09-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Well???

Yeah dogs came in behind him 15 minutes or so followed his trail lost him and the dogs back tracked... we caught them... Long legged beagle dog sounded good beautiful chocolate lab was just along for the trot... Collared up called the owner of the lab, it belonged to his daughter... It was a good buck for around here...