The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Hunters Journal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Default BuckyT 2012

9-8-12am = Hunted Redlands WMA. Hunting over whiteoaks. No deer seen. (Recurve)

9-8-12pm = Afternoon hunt rained out........ Lightning..............

9-9-12am = Back at Redlands. Hunted till 2pm and had to leave. No deer seen from tree. Jumped a doe and fawn on way out of woods.. (Recurve)

9-14-12pm = Screven C. Had a yearling doe with faded spots close gap to 18yds. Didn't like the angle, didn't take a shot. Hour later 2 grown does and another yearling with spots showed up. Fed around at 30yds and eventually moved off. (Recurve)

9-15-12am = Screven C. A 4pt showed up around 0730. Let him walk by. 15yds. 10 min later, a 6pt came by. 15yds. Didn't let him walk. first deer with recurve!!! Awesome hunt!! (Recurve)

9-16-12am = Screven C. Had another nanny and her yearling slip in at first light. 25-30yds... Little too far for me to shoot. Only deer seen that morning. (Recurve)

9-22-12pm = Morgan C. 4 does came in feeding 40-50yds away. No closer... At 1945 a very large 6pt, 4.5yr old buck came right in................... 3yds away.... Had to let him walk................. (Recurve)

9-23-12am = Morgan C. A young 10pt and his 5pt buddy fed in early. They left. 3 does came in feeding, never came into range.. Same 6pt from evening before came in briefly and left. 10pt from earlier in the morning came back and fed right up to base of my tree. I elected to let him walk. GT killed a doe. (Recurve)

9-29-12pm = Cedar Creek WMA Had a doe come in behind me around 1855. She seemed sort of spooked, annoyed at something.... She walked off out of range. 10 min later, movement catches my eye coming down ridge to my left. A deer is heading directly to my creek crossing trail I'm posted over. (Recurve)

I get ready for the shot and..... It's a broken rack cowhorn spike. He comes right in at 14yds and crosses the creek. Walked up on a doe and fawn heading back to the truck. (Recurve)

9-30-12am = Cedar Creek WMA No deer seen... Sat till 1145. Did see two Hooded Warblers. Beautiful Birds! Heard a squirrel die across the creek. Heard wing flapping in leaves. May have been the young Coopers Hawk I saw the evening before. Woods were lively. (Recurve)

10-6-12am = Morgan C. Had a small 6pt feed in under stand around 0730. An hour later 4 does came up but never gave me a clear shot..... Lead doe winded me a bit. Never blew, but stomped a bit, acted on edge entire time. Would never feed into clear lanes... They stayed around for 30 minutes and walked off..... (Compound)

10-13-12am = Redlands WMA. No deer seen from stand. Did walk up on a doe bedded down in the dark going in. Coming out of the woods for lunch, I jumped up another bedded doe and almost got a shot. She stopped but a tree blocked her vitals.............. (Muzzleloader)

10-13-12pm = Redlands WMA. Moved my stand to a cluster of hot white oaks. Woods were completely dead till 5 till 1900. Soft footsteps off to my right caught my attention. A deer was slipping through around 50yds. I never could get a clear view of its head, so I let it walk on through. 15 min later, more footsteps from behind me caught my attention. Another deer was coming through, but closer. It was pretty dark by this time and I thought it was a doe, but couldn't get a clear view of this ones head either.............. 35yds away, had a great shot, but let it walk only having 1 4pt on a side buck tag in my pocket. Walked up on another deer in the dark on the way out. 15ft away and she never moved. (Muzzleloader)

10-18-12am = Screven C. Sat in new lock on stand I placed on tree in summer. A doe came slipping in early around 25yds. After the smoke cleared, she was laying 30yds away. (Muzzleloader)

10-18-12pm = Screven C. Sat in lock on I killed recurve buck out of. No deer seen.. (Muzzleloader)

10-19-12am = Screven C. Back in lock on I was in previous morning. Had a very pretty 15-16" wide 6pt walk right by at 10yds. (Compound)

10-19-12pm = Screven C. Hunted my climber in a stand of pines I like. No deer seen during shooting hours. Had a basket 8pt walk up in dark when I was trying to climb down. Shined him with flashlight. He never paid me any mind and started to work a scrape.... I let him do his thing and move off before climbing the rest of the way down. (Flintlock)

10-20-12am = Screven C. Hunted climber again. Videoed a spike. Heard lots of shooting! Opening morning of gun season. (30/06)

10-20-12pm = Screven C. Hunted with Etter at Boink's Farm. Hunted the gas line box stand together. We had just arrived and Etter climbed up first. I was climbing up behind when I saw a deer step out into the gas line. Told Etter. Got in stand, looked it over, no antlers. Etter shot, deer dropped. Buttonbuck. 220yd shot!! Sat rest of afternoon, no more deer seen. (30/06)

10-21-12am = Screven C. Hunted the trailer property. No deer seen.. Dad shot 2 does on club! (30/06)

10-25-12pm = Newton C. Water Authority Hunt. Hunted a drain with a few whiteoaks dropping. Nothing but squirrels and chipmunks...

10-26-12pm = Newton C. Water Authority Hunt. Missed morning hunt. Son was sick. Didn't get back in stand till 5pm.... Didn't see a thing....

10-27-12am = Newton C. Water Authority Hunt. Moved stand location. Hunting some fresh rubs. Hunt was slow at first.. Still hadn't seen a deer the entire time on the property... At 11am, I looked to my left and saw one heck of a buck walking right to me. Shot him at 15yds. He went 150yds. 20.5" outside spread, 200lb 8pt. (Compound)

10-27-12pm = Newton C. Water Authority Hunt. Hunted a different spot looking for a doe. Struck out... No deer seen..

11-2-12am = Tuckahoe WMA Hunted an old honeyhole of mine back in college. Saw a small buck running full speed... No shot presented... (30/06)

11-2-12pm = Tuckahoe WMA Went to my spot and another hunter was climbing a tree 30yds away......... Confronted the guy. Said he was a new hunter and his buddy dropped him off there.... Said he didn't know where he was at............ Took the guys words as the truth. Told him to stay there and I'd go somewhere else. Left my climber. Told him I'd be back the following morning.

Found an illegal single man ladder............ Spot sucked... So, I walked on out to foot travel road.. Crossed road, found another spot to sit on ground... Got situated and noticed another illegal double ladder stand.................. Walked over to it. Lot of trash on ground... Recent trash... Pretty fed up at that moment... Climbed up in it and hunted rest of afternoon. Squirrels and an armadillo were all I saw... (30/06)

Went back to truck, 3 people waiting on me............. The owners of the illegal ladder stands........ They said they were pulling them out since I knew where they were at... 1 older fella gave me the stink eye, but didn't say a word, the husband and wife team were cordial... I did politely say the stands were illegal..

11-3-12am = Tuckahoe WMA. Went back to climber. Lost newbie was gone.. No deer seen....... Everybody in camp, (Etter, Echo, Bunyan) were fed up with the cluster eff this hunt had turned into..... So we all left and went to the club..

Nothing but idiots riding the roads in their trucks and effing 4 wheelers from sun up till dusk.... Never in my life been on such a crappy rifle hunt on a WMA...... Wasn't like that back in my GSU days.... DNR really needs to do something about Tuckahoe...... Pretty pathetic showing of scumbag illegal hunters and a pathetic showing of DNR personnel.....................

11-3-12pm = Screven C. Doe hunting.... Didn't see a deer.. Dad shot a big doe over at Tom's farm. 325yds shot!! (30/06)

11-4-12am = Screven C. Had a lone deer come in just after shooting light. Bout 60yds away... Not a great view of it's head to confirm it was a doe. Let it walk. (30/06) Sean killed a couple of pigs!

11-10-12am = Cedar Creek WMA. Saw 3 does. Let them all walk. Looking for a bonus buck. Hunting with my cousin. His bottom part of his stand slipped and fell to the ground. He saw one doe behind him.. Couldn't turn for a shot.. LOL He dangled until I reached him around 11am. I saved him. LOL! (30/06)

11-29 thru 12-1-12 =Blackbeard Island. Saw one wild boar on the trip. No shot.. No deer seen.. Sean shot a button buck with his recurve. Bunyan saw a few deer too including a nice buck and a huge alligator!!! One of the best hunting trips I've ever been on!!! (Recurve)

1-5-13pm = Screven C. No deer seen.. (30/06)

1-6-13am = Screven C. 6 deer seen. 5 does and a button buck. Shot biggest of the does. 5.5yr old doe. (30/06)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
THE PLACE Member

Slow start but I bet they moved better this am. It was cool out. It's going to get better this weekend if the cool temps hang around
Old 09-10-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Slow start but I bet they moved better this am. It was cool out. It's going to get better this weekend if the cool temps hang around
I'll be in Screven this weekend.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Merle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
i hope itll be that way in Atco. county ... or i ima just tape the therma cell to my chest and just paint my chest and back

nice journal buckT hope ya get ya one bud
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
I'll be in Screven this weekend.
If I get the right wind I'm going to try the persimmons. Good luck this weekend. The commaraderie will be as good or better than the hunting. That's a plus
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 PM
THE PLACE Member

Seriously??? This GAY chit again?????

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL
Old 09-11-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just 1 More View Post
Seriously??? This GAY chit again?????
If you don't like it, go somewhere else crybaby.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyT View Post
If you don't like it, go somewhere else crybaby.

"Money buys bucks and tits" jb
You can't spell SPOILED without OIL