THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Everything Turkey
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2017, 11:39 AM
Antler Addict

Default Awesome 2017 Season is Over

Had an amazing season.

Started with Tripp's first turkey opening weekend. Opener of youth we had two opportunities to kill, one was a poor setup on my part where he couldn't see the bird and the other was a miss. The following weekend we had an amazing hunt we will both cherish for a lifetime. He is now hooked. Bird strutted in at 17 steps and he performed flawlessly. Flew down and came right to us. I got it all on video.

2 weeks later I struck a bird up in the morning I ended up killing in exactly the same spot. A stud too. 1 3/8" spurs. 11 1/2" beard.

A week later I spent two days doing battle with an old public land warrior. Finally sealed the deal at close range. Another 1 3/8" spur with one broken off. 11 1/2" Beard.

And yesterday I finished up with a sure nuff stud. A bird that had been giving us fits for 3 years. I spent 7 hours with him a week ago only to be left humbled again and again. Yesterday was shaping up to be the same but I forced the issue and pure aggression in tight broke the ole boy. He put on a show at 20 yards gobbling in my face when I finally cut the last gobble short. 4 setups and 900 yards covered in 1.5 hours. My best bird to date and a hunt worthy of my final tag of 2017. 1 5/8" and 1 1/2" spurs and 11" beard.