The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Hunters Journal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2010, 08:52 PM
THE PLACE Member

Late season hunts are tough when you need them at about 50yds and your not hunting out of an enclosed bow blind!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

12-18
I hunted this morning until the rain pushed me out. I hunted out of my climber on the edge of the clear cut. I did see 6 toms, that looked like they were last years jakes, and will be 2 yeard olds this spring.
I went back in today at 2pm. I hunted my hard wood ridge funnel stand where I saw the small 8 thanksgiving. It was a perfect afternoon. I light drizzle over cast and pretty still. About 4:45, I caught movement to my right rear. It was a nanny and her yearling. Being right handed and facing the opposite direction, Iwas in no position to shoot. The deer were moving parellel to me, but veering off into a thicket. I got about half way around when a light breeze came from my back and went right to them. The both knew something was up, but didn't know what. Then they kind of spooked and ran about 40 yards along the thicket. When they did that, I got around and got my gun up. I couldn't get a clear shot cause they were right on the inside edge of the thicket. Then the Nanny just happend to stop in an opening, and I shot her. Someone was defiantely looking out for me, because for a moment I thought they were gone. This was awful thick, and there arent many openings, but she stepped in one, and that was my good fortune. She ran about 30 yards and crashed into the thicket. No matter how many times I do, I still feel an awesome sense of satisfaction while walking up to a deer a just took cleanly. I thanked the good lord for allowing me to take her, and then I field dressed her. I definatley was smiling on the drag out. It's been a tough year, but now the pressure is off. I can eat two deer a year, and that's what I got. I have a buddy, who is in bad health, and I will be hunting for him the rest of the year. I also am puting up old faithful (my 06), for the rest year she will be in the gun safe. I am pistol only the last two weeks.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:54 PM
THE PLACE Member

Good deal! Congrats!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:10 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Congrats
Old 12-18-2010, 09:24 PM
THE PLACE Member

Good deal
Old 12-18-2010, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator Supervisor

Congrats on the doe!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:54 AM
THE PLACE Member

Congrats
Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Ask our guide

Great job
Old 12-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

Thanks Guys
Old 12-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

I hunted yesterday morning before heading down to my sisters for Christmas. It was dead, there wasn't much of anything moving. I hunted a heavily used trail on the edge of the clear cut. It's aperfect pistol spot. I plan on hunting the same spot tomorrow, if The roads aren't iced over.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

12-26
I hunted this morning, and to say it was a RAW morning would be an understatement . It was miserable. The wind was out of Control. I hate, and I mean hate the wind. Needless to say no deer were seen. I did however get a couple of Toms on one camera, as well as another camera had some daytime activity. I will hunt over there this upcoming Thursday afternoon, which will be my next oppurtunity to go hunting. Where did this season go? It has flown by. I sure I hope I can get one more oppurtunity before she closes on Saturday.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:29 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawken View Post
12-26
I hunted this morning, and to say it was a RAW morning would be an understatement . It was miserable. The wind was out of Control. I hate, and I mean hate the wind. Needless to say no deer were seen. I did however get a couple of Toms on one camera, as well as another camera had some daytime activity. I will hunt over there this upcoming Thursday afternoon, which will be my next oppurtunity to go hunting. Where did this season go? It has flown by. I sure I hope I can get one more oppurtunity before she closes on Saturday.
Yea, you have to be a liitle crazy to hunt in the conditions we have right now! Especially on a long morning sit. If the wind ever lays down Cody and I are going to try and put 1 more in the freezer
Old 12-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

12-30
Hunted from 2:30 until dark, and it was dead as dead can be. Very little activity of any kind. I'm hunting a new area along the river. Out of my 3 trail cams, this spot has had the only daytime deer activity. We'll give it another try in the AM. I reallly like this spot it real thick, and there's a ton of sign. If I ahd the time, I'm sure this spot will produce, but as we all know, only two days left for us Newton County Hunters.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Future Wyoming Resident

12-31
Pretty good morning. I saw three, but could not get a shot on them due to it being to thick. I hunted until 10:00am, and those were the only three I saw. I repostioned my climber, and I'll be back after them tomorrow AM, rain or shine.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:08 PM
Ask our guide

Enjoy this thread, glad to see you get out there whenever ya can