The Outdoors Place  
THE PLACE Chat Room

Go Back   The Outdoors Place > Hunting > Hunters Journal
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2010, 12:18 PM
THE PLACE Member

1st day on the stand Sep 11th, afternoon hunt. seen one button buck at about 5:30pm, lightning storm came up at about 7pm.
Sep 12th morning hunt, 7:15am shot a doe, perfect broadside shot (so i thought) gave her plenty of time to expire, started the trailing at 8:30am. 3hrs later no deer and blood trail ran out. i think i may have hit her high in that hollow section btw the spine and vitals. I HATE loosing a deer!!! the first one i have lost in many years

Last edited by ADDICTED2HUNTIN : 11-02-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
THE PLACE Member

You do know teal season is in right?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:30 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDICTED2HUNTIN View Post
went to the 60acre tract of land in winder this a.m. seen doe and fawn, jumped up a decent buck on the way out...went back to the farm this afternoon. 1st buck came across field bout 150yds out really good looking 2.5 y/o 9pt, 2nd deer came out and came right under my stand, decent 3.5 y/o 8pt, got a pic of him on my phone. then a good one stepped out, he appeared to be at least 4.5 y/o 9pt, gross score in the 120's. i got positioned in my stand he was on my rt side so i had to get turned around to get a shot off at him, he stopped out at 35yards, i put my 30 yard pin on him a little high and squeezed off the release as soon as my arrow left the bow it hit a limb and the arrow went down toward the ground!!!! DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh well it happens, i did see another young buck looked like a 2.5 y/o 7pt that came right up to 15yds and then seen a doe and a fawn right at dark. maybe the chocolate horned 8pt (nick named him CROOK) because his main beam on the rt side appears that it was damaged in velvet and has a unique looking "crook" in it, will gimme another chance!!!!!!!
Dang man, you hunting in my persimmon hole? Thats one heck of a hunt!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Go dawgs!

Quote:
went back to winder tract 9-28-10 afternoon hunt, seen two foxes and 1 doe, she came right in and i decided to shoot her, she was walking feeding on acorns and as she started turning i drew back, well she seen me, i held back as long as i could with her staring right at me then i decided to let it fly, i hit her dead center of the chest, as she was running off i seen my arrow hanging out of the bottom of her. i thought dead deer...well 1.5hrs later and the end of the blood trail i never found her!!!! thats another one this season, and i can not even remember when i lost a deer until this year. don't know if it will help any, but today i went and bought some Rage 2 blade expandable broad heads to try, i have shot muzzy's for 15+ years and have always loved them but this season really makes me doubt them, like i said it may not help but i am gonna give it a try
Man....Your having a worse season then me...Hang in there man...
Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 PM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Thats sucks. Atleast you know you arent hunting a ghost.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:59 AM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
Thats sucks. Atleast you know you arent hunting a ghost.
not the way i wanted him to go though
Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

Reckon not. MAybe another will take its place. Who knows?
Old 10-18-2010, 10:53 AM
The ****in Slipknot \m/

good luck on the drop tine buck. All hope is not lost.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 AM
THE PLACE Member

went to the farm this morning and it was a great morning!!!!!!!! seen 21 deer total from the stand but only 2 were bucks, they were good ones though!!! saw a great 4.5 year old what should have been 10 pt but he was missing a brow tine on the rt side...passed on him in hopes i can get my daughter to get him, he would be a great deer for alot of people and especially a child, should gross in the high 120's low 130's, got some decent video footage of him, then i seen a stud of an 8pt, got good video of him, he was only 3.5 years old but i'd bet be will be close to 130 as an 8pt!!!!!! i will give him another year atleast and hopefully take him out at 4.5, he should be a sho nuff BIG UN then!! i believe he is the 7pt that i saw several times last year as a 2 year old, sure does look alot like him. over all it was a great cool morning to be in the stand, too bad my daughter didn't want to go this morning, she could have taken a shot at the 10pt, but she says she is going tomorrow morning so maybe he will come back across
Old 10-23-2010, 12:30 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
went to the farm this morning and it was a great morning!!!!!!!! seen 21 deer total from the stand but only 2 were bucks, they were good ones though!!! saw a great 4.5 year old what should have been 10 pt but he was missing a brow tine on the rt side...passed on him in hopes i can get my daughter to get him, he would be a great deer for alot of people and especially a child, should gross in the high 120's low 130's, got some decent video footage of him, then i seen a stud of an 8pt, got good video of him, he was only 3.5 years old but i'd bet be will be close to 130 as an 8pt!!!!!! i will give him another year atleast and hopefully take him out at 4.5, he should be a sho nuff BIG UN then!! i believe he is the 7pt that i saw several times last year as a 2 year old, sure does look alot like him. over all it was a great cool morning to be in the stand, too bad my daughter didn't want to go this morning, she could have taken a shot at the 10pt, but she says she is going tomorrow morning so maybe he will come back across
Dang dude, you hunting at a deer farm or what
Old 10-23-2010, 02:46 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
Dang dude, you hunting at a deer farm or what
you can say that, its little over 800 acres that i am VERY fortunate to hunt, there are only 4 people that hunt it but 3 of us have kids that we take with us. we have a very strict trophy management program, with supplemental feeding and age structure, as the grown ups we do not shoot a buck unless he is atleast 4.5 yrs old and the kids don't shoot them unless they are 3.5...none of our kids are old enough to hunt by themselves yet so we are trying to teach them proper herd management thru harvesting alot of does and letting the little bucks go...this morning was a GOOD morning as far as numbers go but lacking a little on the amount of bucks, a usual sitting in any of our stands usually you will see 10-15 deer on average with about 1/4-1/2 of them being bucks..one morning during the heat of the rut last year me and my daughter saw 27 deer and 17 were bucks, 8 of which had more 8pts or more. this is not a high fence area they are all free ranging, so we loose some to the hwys (like last week we lost a 147" 6.5 year old 10pt) and some to the neighboring property's but we have lots of deer and we try and keep it that way
Old 10-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Go dawgs!

Quote:
you can say that, its little over 800 acres that i am VERY fortunate to hunt, there are only 4 people that hunt it but 3 of us have kids that we take with us. we have a very strict trophy management program, with supplemental feeding and age structure, as the grown ups we do not shoot a buck unless he is atleast 4.5 yrs old and the kids don't shoot them unless they are 3.5...none of our kids are old enough to hunt by themselves yet so we are trying to teach them proper herd management thru harvesting alot of does and letting the little bucks go...this morning was a GOOD morning as far as numbers go but lacking a little on the amount of bucks, a usual sitting in any of our stands usually you will see 10-15 deer on average with about 1/4-1/2 of them being bucks..one morning during the heat of the rut last year me and my daughter saw 27 deer and 17 were bucks, 8 of which had more 8pts or more. this is not a high fence area they are all free ranging, so we loose some to the hwys (like last week we lost a 147" 6.5 year old 10pt) and some to the neighboring property's but we have lots of deer and we try and keep it that way
...im gonna start looking closer as I drive by going to my club....Y'all don't frown on road hunting do you??
Old 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM
THE PLACE Member

A heck of a place for sure, thanks for posting the activity.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:10 PM
THE PLACE Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow3 View Post
...im gonna start looking closer as I drive by going to my club....Y'all don't frown on road hunting do you??
Old 10-23-2010, 07:12 PM
THE PLACE Member

went to my athens property this afternoon, this was the first time i have hunted there this year. i saw a 3pt 4pt and 2 does and that was it....wanted to go back to the farm but time wasn't permitted because of some of my mid day family activites