The Outdoors Place

The Outdoors Place (http://www.theoutdoorsplace.net/index.php)
-   Fishing (http://www.theoutdoorsplace.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Fly fishing gear advice (http://www.theoutdoorsplace.net/showthread.php?t=75540)

Just 1 More 01-09-2018 11:34 AM

Fly fishing gear advice
 
We're looking to do a PA guided trout trip. Most web sites say 5-7wt, 5-8wt .. or 2-4wt.. What would be some good rod/reel to look at that is good quality but not over priced?

Ol' Red 01-09-2018 11:59 AM

Any of the Orvis stuff will work. Won't break the bank, but will work fine. 5 wt all day. You'll need a custom fly order too.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.a...ubcat_id=44223

Red

huntfish 01-09-2018 12:19 PM

5# - 8.5 feet long will cover you for most. You can pick up a great combination at Cabelas.

The guide should have rods for you to use. If he doesn't, get another guide.

bouncy 01-09-2018 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just 1 More (Post 1120122)
We're looking to do a PA guided trout trip. Most web sites say 5-7wt, 5-8wt .. or 2-4wt.. What would be some good rod/reel to look at that is good quality but not over priced?

Have you asked JB?:tampa:

Buddy of mine gave me a fly rod years ago.....it is in the corner of my garage currently housing a spider web.

I have no idea....

Just 1 More 01-09-2018 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bouncy (Post 1120131)
Have you asked JB?:tampa:

Buddy of mine gave me a fly rod years ago.....it is in the corner of my garage currently housing a spider web.

I have no idea....

JB can't resist long... he'll chime in :lolhammer:

Send that Fly Rod to J1M in the 44663 :cheer:

Gator 01-09-2018 06:08 PM

Most guides have rods for you.

georgiaboy 01-09-2018 06:11 PM

Zebco 33 with rooster tails should work

Just 1 More 01-09-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gator (Post 1120140)
Most guides have rods for you.

And most rods have guides :giggle::giggle::giggle:

Just 1 More 01-09-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiaboy (Post 1120141)
Zebco 33 with rooster tails should work

I bet it would :cheer:

Ol' Red 01-10-2018 12:52 AM

Every man needs his own fly rod. Let me know the river. I’ll hook you up.

Red

Just 1 More 01-10-2018 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Red (Post 1120151)
Every man needs his own fly rod. Let me know the river. Iíll hook you up.

Red

Thanks Red, But, We have no clue where we'll be going. Doing a lot of internet research trying to find someone that's recommended by someone. I hate to just pull a name off the www and go at it with nothing to go on.

ssramage 01-10-2018 09:16 AM

I bought a nice rod/reel last year thinking I would learn how to fly fish. I haven't devoted the time to do it well, but my gear is pretty nice. Sage reel and TFO rod.

Just 1 More 01-10-2018 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssramage (Post 1120166)
I bought a nice rod/reel last year thinking I would learn how to fly fish. I haven't devoted the time to do it well, but my gear is pretty nice. Sage reel and TFO rod.

What's your point and how is this helpful to my situation??? :confused:

JamesG 01-10-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgiaboy (Post 1120141)
Zebco 33 with rooster tails should work

:exactly::cheer:

ssramage 01-10-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just 1 More (Post 1120122)
We're looking to do a PA guided trout trip. Most web sites say 5-7wt, 5-8wt .. or 2-4wt.. What would be some good rod/reel to look at that is good quality but not over priced?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssramage (Post 1120166)
I bought a nice rod/reel last year thinking I would learn how to fly fish. I haven't devoted the time to do it well, but my gear is pretty nice. Sage reel and TFO rod.

:flipa::flipa::flipa:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.