The Outdoors Place

The Outdoors Place (http://www.theoutdoorsplace.net/index.php)
-   Sporting Dogs (http://www.theoutdoorsplace.net/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   For those of you not on facespace (http://www.theoutdoorsplace.net/showthread.php?t=75425)

d_white 10-14-2017 06:07 PM

For those of you not on facespace

1 Attachment(s)
In loving memory of Rocky 1/23/2010-10/13/2017 Today I laid to rest my best friend and an integral part of our family. What started as a subtle limp after early season turned out to be something much more sinister and devastating. By the time the pathology report confirmed the hemangiosarcoma, the malignancy had spread to his nervous system. Rocky meant more to me than I can put into words. I've had a long standing love for waterfowling, but Rocky LIVED for it. The fire that burned in him ignited an insatiable desire in me that I didn't know was possible. He made me as excited to wake up on day 60 as I was on day 1. I've made some of my closest friends while we shared hunts with Rocky. Anybody who was fortunate enough to see him at work knew they were witnessing someone special. No one could deny that his love for hunting or for me was unmatched. Some of the proudest moments of my life have come when new partners began to realize what he was capable of, and the best feelings I've ever felt were when a group of hunters erupted triumphantly after a particularly difficult retrieve. This upcoming season won't be the same. Rocky retrieved countless dove and over 1500 ducks in his short career, including 18 banded birds. I remember single every hunt, from his first duck, a blue wing teal on spring creek with Alex Harrell and Chris Tyus, to just the two of us sharing a hunt in the snow on Lake Seminole, to his last bird, a blue wing on closing day of early season just two and a half short weeks ago. Anybody who ever met Rocky knows he didn't just walk across the rainbow bridge, he ran, pranced, and kangaroo-ed the whole way. Rest in peace buddy, I'm gonna miss the hell out of you.

Steven Farr 10-14-2017 08:30 PM

Man I hate to read the news. That is a fine tribute to your buddy for sure.

JamesG 10-14-2017 08:54 PM

Very touching tribute. Brought a tear to my eye. Sorry for your loss doc.

georgiaboy 10-14-2017 09:37 PM

I'm sorry to read this but happy for you and Rocky to have so many great hunts together.

ssramage 10-14-2017 10:15 PM

Very sorry for your loss.

Gimp 10-15-2017 12:38 AM

Breaks my heart for you. He is just a little older than Allie. I cant even imagine. Very sorry to hear this.

bouncy 10-15-2017 04:05 AM

Always tough. Sorry to hear. Sounds like a great dog.

jerry hale 10-15-2017 06:22 AM

Sorry for your loss doc.

Duff 10-15-2017 12:01 PM

Very sorry to hear that Mr White.

jb 10-15-2017 12:48 PM

Sorry to hear. The good ones always leave us too soon

bowman#3 10-15-2017 10:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sorry for your loss. Rocky was a special one to say the least. He was a fixture and highlight in so many memorable hunts.

I'm pretty sure this is Rocky on a Bayou Meto walk in hunt. Len had Jenny there too that day, but I don't think she or Len made the photo shoot if my memory is correct.

BuckyT 10-16-2017 08:27 AM

That was a touching tribute Doc. My condolences to you and your family.

Dustin Pate 10-16-2017 10:27 AM

Very sorry Doc. My girl is getting up in age and I worry this day may be soon approaching for myself.

d_white 10-17-2017 10:15 AM

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the kinds words. This past weekend was rough, and I still have bad moments. The hardest parts are the subconscious things I never realized I do, like looking in the backyard when I get home to see where he is, or instinctively turning around to give him the last bite of something, or expecting him to pop into the sunroom when I open our diabetic dogs treat jar after his insulin shot.

Ret, yea that pic is from a walk in on BM right before New Years several years back. That was a good one.

If you guys can take 3 seconds and click this link, scroll down and click the vote button I would appreciate it. You can vote daily.

http://gardenandgun.com/extras/good-...or=d4qzVUIky_4

Steven Farr 10-17-2017 03:51 PM

Voted!